Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I’ve ordered a iPad Mini 6 , and has both USB-C and the smart connector so I’m sure it will be compatible with the docks for the bigger iPads.

I’m looking for a minimalistic dock for my pc desk. Charging it the #1 thing I’m looking for, don’t really care about other added features like ports or anything is this will mainly be a media consumption device.

what docks you guys using recommend?

slueck

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2021
I’ve ordered a iPad Mini 6 , and has both USB-C and the smart connector so I’m sure it will be compatible with the docks for the bigger iPads.

One point of clarification: It has a magnetic connector, not a smart connector.

Reactions: Qu1ckset

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
One point of clarification: It has a magnetic connector, not a smart connector.
Didn't even know there was a difference, so would something like Logitech Base work, it listed the iPad Air which according to apples website has the magnetic connector as well and logitech site it refers to it as the "Apple Smart Connector"

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Smart connector are those 3 dots for pogo-pin accessories/cases. I didn't see the Mini 6 (2021) mention anything regarding a "smart connector" ?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
the iPad Air which according to apples website has the magnetic connector as well

it does?

Here's your confusion. The magnetic connector is how the Air and the mini connect to the Apple Pencil. They both have it.

The Smart Connector is how the air connects to docks or things like the logitech base. The mini does not have that.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
it does?

Here's your confusion. The magnetic connector is how the Air and the mini connect to the Apple Pencil. They both have it.

The Smart Connector is how the air connects to docks or things like the logitech base. The mini does not have that.
Ok thanks for clearing up the confusion!

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
it does?

You are probably right about what the phrase "magnetic conncetor" refers to, but also note that the iPad mini 6 does have magnets in it to attach to cases such as the smart folio, etc. So it might work with stands that hold iPads (Pro, current Air) magnetically, or maybe new ones will come out that work with the mini's magnet arrangement.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Didn't even know there was a difference, so would something like Logitech Base work, it listed the iPad Air which according to apples website has the magnetic connector as well and logitech site it refers to it as the "Apple Smart Connector"
That Logitech base only works with Lightning iPads with the smart connector somewhere at the bottom (like the 3rd generation iPad Air and the first and second generation 12.9" iPad Pros). It does NOT work with any USB-C iPads with smart connector (like the 4th generation iPad Air, the 11" iPad Pros and the 3rd, 4th and 5th generation 12.9 iPad Pros). When switching from Lightning to USB-C, Apple also moved the smart connector to the back. The difference is explained in this Appleinsider article: https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...al-of-the-smart-connector-on-the-new-ipad-pro (although the article itself is a bit overtly dramatic, but hey ;)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.