Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan08

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Hey Everyone,

So I just got the new cellular iPad and am lucky enough to be in an area with decent 5G Ultra Wideband coverage. This got me thinking about my upcoming international travel to Europe and the ability to use the eSim for roaming. I have done this in the past but never with a 5G device.

In the past I have used providers like GigSky, Truphone, and others listed under the “Worldwide Service Providers” section of Apple’s site here. But I don’t see any mention of 5G on any of their websites. Many don’t even make it easy to figure out which carriers they use in each country (since these are all basically MVNOs).

Of course, 5G is not strictly necessary, any cellular connection will do; but I figured I would see if the community here had any experiences with this! Thanks!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Iirc, other countries use different bands for 5G UW. The US iPad only supports the US 5G UW bands.

Reactions: Dan08

Dan08

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Iirc, other countries use different bands for 5G UW. The US iPad only supports the US 5G UW bands.
I had forgotten about this, but I think the US iPad is still compatible with *some* (non-ultra wideband) frequencies of 5G abroad…. Right?

I would like to test it out and see once I’m there and report back. But I’ll have to get a carrier to allow me on to their network first :p

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, they have regular 5G. Mind, it would also depend on the contract between the MVNO and local carriers what service you get.

Reactions: Dan08

Dan08

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Yeah, it's going to be a long time before it fully rolls out... ?
That’s true, I guess it’s just the Apple FanBoy in me that is impatient lol

I was thinking that I may be able to skip going with one of the “Worldwide Service Providers” and just try to sign up directly with a provider in my destination country. Unfortunately only one (of the major 4 carriers there) supports eSIM and you still have to go to their stores to get a QR code to activate it. Maybe I’ll get a chance to try it when I’m over there though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.