Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
This problem could be user problem. I am helping a woman with her iPad. I set up the fingerprint reader for each of her thumbs. Getting to that point was a challenge because she hard time moving her thumbs around. Both thumbs worked for her under my supervision. I week later she called me and said they neither would work to unlock her iPad. I confirmed that and reset them again, and again they worked while I was there. She just called me again complaining they no longer work again. Any thoughts

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
apparently 3rd party chargers/cables can interfere with Touch ID. If she uses that, get a Mfi-certified (e.g. original Apple) cable and try with the 3rd party charger. If the problem persist, get a different charger.
Another source for malfunction/interference with Touch ID can be electrostatic charge… the right combination of e.g. carpet, clothing and/or chair surface can slightly charge a person, TouchID might then malfunction.
In both scenarios people have reported that they could avoid TouchID problems when they grounded themselves before using it; or if they disconnected the charger and grounded themselves before using it.

Of course it is possible that there is a hardware problem, but what you describe sounds more like the above. Here is just one link related to the phenomen, there are several threads on various sites…

• Wow
Reactions: BotchQue

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
One additional remark assuming it's no hardware defect or grounding issue:
In case the fingerprint 'changes' due to humidity etc., do not reset Touch ID but add the same finger again (or a different one) via "Add fingerprint…" in the 'Touch ID' setting menu.
Multiple versions of the same finger can be added to accommodate for 'dermic fluctuations' (I made that word up).
'Hidden' feature: In the same menu, if you put a finger on the sensor, the matching entry (finger) gets highlighted so you can confirm which finger(s) currently work and which don't.

I suspect disabling Touch ID and Code completely is not an option for security reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for the hidden feature. This person is like a lot of my fellow baby boomers. She struggles with tech. I have been trying to help her but it takes awhile for things to sink in. She makes jewelry and is trying to sell it online. I do not think its a hardware problem. I may try to disable Touch ID and code if this continues. Thanks for you help

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are certain situations in which the passcode is required. So while it may look like Touch ID isn't working anymore, it may actually be asking for the passcode instead. I know people get tripped up by that sometimes. (Have to pay attention to the text on the screen.)

For example, Touch ID won't work if the iPad hasn't been unlocked in more than 48 hours. It'll reject the fingerprint and require the passcode. After the passcode has been entered, Touch ID can be used as normal again. There is a similar rule that requires the passcode almost once a week.

This may or may not be your issue. I guess we don't know how exactly you confirmed it wasn't working. Did you confirm it still wasn't working after the passcode has been entered? Otherwise, I agree with the previous posts. Winter and dry skin can make Touch ID be finicky.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Try adding her left and right index fingers. They’ve often more convenient to use, in any case.

Shut down the iPad completely after you’ve taught Touch ID — and you'll see the passcode prompt on a restart. See if that’s her situation or issue. If so, have her write it down on a 3 x 5 card to keep in a secure place.

<soap box on>

As to lots of baby boomers struggling with tech… that's an overused meme! Many do, but many of all ages do. And, many don't.

I'm sensitive to such remarks, perhaps overly so, because I had relatives in their '90s who were regularly emailing, downloading, etc. For sure, some struggled with certain aspects, but others were quite adept. (So, please don't this digression the wrong way!)

I also know baby boomers who are or were astrophysicists, engineers, accountants, historians, news reporters, programmers, etc. and they have no problem with tech. Indeed, they use it regularly in their professions and are often having to teach “youngsters” the tricks of the trade!

No doubt we have a fair number of baby boomers here at MacRumors, too!

<soap box off>

Reactions: Student of Life

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sorry if you thought I was putting down baby boomers. I am 73 and a boomer myself. I worked in tech most of my life even worked for Apple for 20 years. Unfortunately many my friends and family boomers I think are afraid of it or something. I hate when some say I'll have grandson fix it for me.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I'm a Luddite who still washes dishes in the sink. Neither my MBP nor my iPhone will read my fingerprint immediately after; I have to wait 20-30 minutes before my "print" becomes readable again.
You mentioned she makes jewelry; it's possible she uses cleaning solutions etc that could similarly affect her skin for a time?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This problem could be user problem. I am helping a woman with her iPad. I set up the fingerprint reader for each of her thumbs. Getting to that point was a challenge because she hard time moving her thumbs around. Both thumbs worked for her under my supervision. I week later she called me and said they neither would work to unlock her iPad. I confirmed that and reset them again, and again they worked while I was there. She just called me again complaining they no longer work again. Any thoughts

Is it getting colder where you live? If your hands get dry it starts to mess with Touch ID. I used to run into this.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Is she just getting a failure to unlock or is she getting the "you must enter your device passcode to enable touchID" message? If the later, her iPad may be rebooting on her without her knowing.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I am an Apple geek since 1980. The problem isn't tech phobia/lack of tech skills. I have had the problem described with Touch ID on every single device I have used Touch ID on--regardless of the shape of the sensor (including the power button sensor on the iPad mini). It will work fine for a few days and then it will stop working.

In my case, I've always attributed the problem to the fact that 50 years ago when I was in medical school, we did not glove to do gross anatomy or neuroanatomy, meaning that we spent all of our first year bathing our hands in formaldehyde for hours a day. As a consequence, I think I have very shallow fingerprints, prints that have essentially gotten "burned off" by all that formalin exposure.

FWIW, I've also had problems when in-processing for federal jobs that require fingerprinting--they have the devil of a time getting good prints. This was true back in the old days when prints were taken using paper and ink and even more so with electronic print readers.

Perhaps OP's friend is experiencing something similar due to solvents used in making jewelry.

In any event, I find it a tad encouraging to find that other people are experiencing the same thing--I've always felt like I was the odd man out. I certainly hope someone here has tripped over a durable solution. Having to add a new fingerprint every week or so gets old. In fact, I have stopped using Touch ID; I don't even bother to set it up on my Macs, preferring to log in with a password or my Apple Watch. I much prefer Face ID over Touch ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: kltmom

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I am an Apple geek since 1980. The problem isn't tech phobia/lack of tech skills. I have had the problem described with Touch ID on every single device I have used Touch ID on--regardless of the shape of the sensor (including the power button sensor on the iPad mini). It will work fine for a few days and then it will stop working.

In my case, I've always attributed the problem to the fact that 50 years ago when I was in medical school, we did not glove to do gross anatomy or neuroanatomy, meaning that we spent all of our first year bathing our hands in formaldehyde for hours a day. As a consequence, I think I have very shallow fingerprints, prints that have essentially gotten "burned off" by all that formalin exposure.

FWIW, I've also had problems when in-processing for federal jobs that require fingerprinting--they have the devil of a time getting good prints. This was true back in the old days when prints were taken using paper and ink and even more so with electronic print readers.

Perhaps OP's friend is experiencing something similar due to solvents used in making jewelry.

In any event, I find it a tad encouraging to find that other people are experiencing the same thing--I've always felt like I was the odd man out. I certainly hope someone here has tripped over a durable solution. Having to add a new fingerprint every week or so gets old. In fact, I have stopped using Touch ID; I don't even bother to set it up on my Macs, preferring to log in with a password or my Apple Watch. I much prefer Face ID over Touch ID.
This was a VERY interesting post to me.
I've always had trouble with touch-screens in general. My iPad uses face recognition (which almost always works) but both my laptop and phone use fingerprint ID, and I often have to try a couple times to log in. And on my iPhone, I usually have to touch my screen two or three times before it registers a button-press; irritating as hell.
A few months ago I had to replace my entire HVAC system with new, which included a Lennox touch-screen thermostat. That thing HATES me! I can touch it anywhere and it immediately springs to life, BUT I can punch any illuminated button, anywhere on the screen, and it will NOT register: light taps, hard taps, hard presses, long presses, almost NOTHING works! A tech responded and tried it, everything worked for him; I tried the same things while he was there, and he said the same thing Tech Support said to me my entire career: "Uh, I've Never seen this before!" WTFF!!!
He set my thermostat to 72º low (winter) and 80º high (summer) so hopefully I never have to touch the damn thing again; WTH do some of us just not register on touch-screens???
Oh yeah, I can't use an ATM for the same reason; the touch-screen just Won't Respond! (at least the Credit Union clerks are cute).

calliex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for all the suggestions. She just gets the failure to unlock. It is getting cold here in Pa. and the jewelry solvents could be a problem. I may have to teach her how to redo the finger print herself. I started a free tech help at a local pharmacy/ice cream shop. It is making me look into things that I took for granite.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
and he said the same thing Tech Support said to me my entire career: "Uh, I've Never seen this before!"
Tech Support should at least have heard of the term Zombie Finger. Not too unusual for people with dry hands or thicker callouses.
And in regard to fingerprints, like @mpetrides has pointed out, frequent contact with chemicals can 'damage' them - even long-term.

Reactions: BotchQue

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Tech Support should at least have heard of the term Zombie Finger. Not too unusual for people with dry hands or thicker callouses.
Thanks for posting that, I learned something today.
Guess I'll be walking around with a hot dog in my pocket now... 😅

• Haha
Reactions: arw

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My thoughts is that she has alien dna 🧬👽

/jk

I was thinking she is regularly being replaced with slightly imperfect clone copies. Once she realizes this, she might consider a new career as a remarkable cat burglar who leaves her prints behind to then rule her out of each crime if arrested because while the ever-evolving fingerprints would be similar, they would not match.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Also check if there's a screen protector installed. I was in the exact same situation with a "older" friend who had endless problems with her iPad's fingerprint sensor. At a casual glance it looked fine, but upon closer inspection the edge of her screen protector was just a little off and intruded a millimetre over the sensor. That was all it took to make it wonky. I peeled-off the screen protector and it worked perfectly afterwards.

Reactions: calliex and arw

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
My thoughts is that she has alien dna 🧬👽

/jk
1700142501833.gif

That reminds me of the Simpsons Halloween episode where Lisa was too smart. To this day i can help but laugh At the alien space ship using two light beams to ”lift” Homer.

No idea the Simpsons got that from the twilight zone but it makes sense

Last edited:
Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
this happens to my grandma's iPhone SE 2nd gen all the time. every time I see her she tries using it and it fails and the only thing we can do is re-register the fingerprints. maybe the wrinkles in her fingers reorient

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.