Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
with the upcoming support for flash drives, does this mean I can finally hook an external hard drive up to my ipad and drag and drop photos on to it as a form of backup?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
with the upcoming support for flash drives, does this mean I can finally hook an external hard drive up to my ipad and drag and drop photos on to it as a form of backup?

You can multi-select photos from the Photos app and mass save them to Files, which now supports external hard drives so yep, you can.

Hank3rd

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
So far, I got it to work with a couple of thumb drives, but not my Seagate Backup Plus Portable USB drive. I tried a couple of USB-C adapters as well as my hub where I plugged in the power cord. I hope that they add support for more drives.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It would be really cool if you could do a local backup like you can an iCloud Backup!

That actually would be pretty sweet. Now that we have attached and SMB storage independent locally managed backups would be another signal of iOS cutting the cord from Macs/PCs.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
So far, I got it to work with a couple of thumb drives, but not my Seagate Backup Plus Portable USB drive. I tried a couple of USB-C adapters as well as my hub where I plugged in the power cord. I hope that they add support for more drives.

I would guess it is a power thing. I tried an external SSD and it worked with no issues.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Has it been stated whether this functionality works for all iPadOS 13-supported iPads or just the 2018 USB-C models?

I mean they've had the camera connection kit SD/USB dongles forever so I would hope that those will be compatible with this new feature, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has tested it on Pre-2018 iPad Pros or has seen published specs that specify what models it works on.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
My camera connection kit isn’t handy, but will be testing soon. I’m guessing some will require the external power version of the CCK but some would work without that. It does work on non USB-C iPads as I’ve heard it works on iPhones as well!

Reactions: bookemdano
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.