Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hey everyone. I just took my first trans-Atlantic flight last night with my iPad. This thing cannot be beaten! It's so light, didn't have to take it out of my bag at security, battery (on airplane mode) went down to 50% with 6 hours non-stop use on Pages, while listening to podcasts. brightness was almost minimum but it was fine for what i needed.

Now I'm on board a flight with Air Tran to the mid West. And i decided to splurge on $9.95 for in-flight WiFi. It's absolutely amazing! I let the person next to me log on to check email and they are now going to buy an iPad.

I've had a lot of questions about whether it replaces my laptop. I do a lot of traveling. I tell them "no, but 90% of the time it does what i need 10 times better"

I'll stop bragging now about how much I'm enjoying it. Worth the $10 to have the ultimate in-flight experience though. Hope you guys can enjoy yours as much as I am.

M

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Nice. I'm taking mine along as my only 'laptop' on a trip to Vega next week. It's more a fun trip than a work trip this time tho, so I'm comfortable with that. Not sure i can get away with travelling sans laptop on business only trips yet.

Certainly trying to figure out how though!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
raremage said:
Nice. I'm taking mine along as my only 'laptop' on a trip to Vega next week. It's more a fun trip than a work trip this time tho, so I'm comfortable with that. Not sure i can get away with travelling sans laptop on business only trips yet.

Certainly trying to figure out how though!

Remote desktop'ing to the work computer could be the solution.

Big thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/900457/

A screenshot (I use Wyse Pocketcloud):

p290165716.jpg

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Nice report. I also find myself using the iPad in place of my laptop over the past month. It does virtually everything I need it to do on a regular basis. In future iterations of the hardware and software, I feel it will truly replace the laptop for a large number of people.:(:p:apple::(

anemone

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Agreed

I'm flying w/ mine for the first time today (currently hanging out in the airport in Detroit before my connecting flight).

It's amazing how much less I have to pack in my carry on w/ this thing. The 70 something woman sitting next to me on my flight was very interested in it, so I gave her a little tour of what it can do.

My next flight has been delayed 2 hrs, so it's nice to have so many types of entertainment available.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
Really? Yankee planes don't have awesome in-flight entertainment? that sucks

Normally, we have movies to watch which are pretty much still in the theaters. I'd be too busy trying to get my monies worth than fiddling with the iPad

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hey everyone. I just took my first trans-Atlantic flight last night with my iPad. This thing cannot be beaten! It's so light, didn't have to take it out of my bag at security, battery (on airplane mode) went down to 50% with 6 hours non-stop use on Pages, while listening to podcasts. brightness was almost minimum but it was fine for what i needed.

Now I'm on board a flight with Air Tran to the mid West. And i decided to splurge on $9.95 for in-flight WiFi. It's absolutely amazing! I let the person next to me log on to check email and they are now going to buy an iPad.

I've had a lot of questions about whether it replaces my laptop. I do a lot of traveling. I tell them "no, but 90% of the time it does what i need 10 times better"

I'll stop bragging now about how much I'm enjoying it. Worth the $10 to have the ultimate in-flight experience though. Hope you guys can enjoy yours as much as I am.

M

I'm finally going to get to fly/travel with my iPad. I'm looking forward to less of a hassle going through security than with my MBP. Did you have anything else in your iPad bag, like clothing? I'm just trying to figure out if I can pack it in my carryon roller with my clothing, shaving kit and such. Maybe it will be too dense to x-ray if it is in a roller with clothing?

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
I'll be traveling from LA to Philly and back again at the end of the month. Hopefully my iPad will have arrived from Apple by then, so I can enjoy the in-flight experience.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I'm finally going to get to fly/travel with my iPad. I'm looking forward to less of a hassle going through security than with my MBP. Did you have anything else in your iPad bag, like clothing? I'm just trying to figure out if I can pack it in my carryon roller with my clothing, shaving kit and such. Maybe it will be too dense to x-ray if it is in a roller with clothing?

Yeh i had a bunch of other stuff in my suitcase. It's a solid titanium Rimowa so I had to open it and scan it through clam shelled. I don't think it will be much of a problem with other things in the suitcase.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
My personal Nirvana is using Slingbox on the iPad at 35 kilofeet. Watched the final round of the Memorial golf tournament live!

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Cogs HD has made some of my domestic flights very short :) Iv'e also prepared some documents. When there's no power and little space it makes alot more sence than a laptop.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Tell me about it. On a 10 hour flight to Rio a couple weeks ago, I was rocking two iPads, one propped up for TV shows and movies, and another flat on the tray table for games...it was awesome.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Really? Yankee planes don't have awesome in-flight entertainment? that sucks

Normally, we have movies to watch which are pretty much still in the theaters. I'd be too busy trying to get my monies worth than fiddling with the iPad

Some do, some don't, it just depends upon the carrier, route and class.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Just took a trip with my DSL in a camera bag and a gym bag full of clothes. Just threw the ipad on top of the clothes. If I had my mbp 13 it would not fit in either bag and I would have had to check something. Worked great on Virgin America wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.