Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicfle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
What things are there to consider when comparing iPad models (current and rumoured for 2021)? Maybe thins that aren't so obvious.

I tend to use the iPad for
- drawing (alone and with M1 sidecar apps),
- on the go "computer" for presentations (has external screen support been an issue for you?),
- 2nd screen for my desk setup along MBP M1

Is drawing better and more comfortable with the 11´size? Heard things leaning to this.
What kind of benefits or restrictions does 120Hz ProMotion have in graphic design and drawing?
From the rumours circling, what upgrades might be good waiting for?
Mini-led seems a big improvement for colour grading and might have an impact in battery life imo. Any thoughts on this? Might this affect P3?
Any accessories that support a specific model?

Im not in a hurry, but once the 2021 Q1-2 models come out I will pull the trigger.
Thanks for your insights!

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
What things are there to consider when comparing iPad models (current and rumoured for 2021)? Maybe thins that aren't so obvious.

I tend to use the iPad for
- drawing (alone and with M1 sidecar apps),
- on the go "computer" for presentations (has external screen support been an issue for you?),
- 2nd screen for my desk setup along MBP M1

Is drawing better and more comfortable with the 11´size? Heard things leaning to this.
What kind of benefits or restrictions does 120Hz ProMotion have in graphic design and drawing?
From the rumours circling, what upgrades might be good waiting for?
Mini-led seems a big improvement for colour grading and might have an impact in battery life imo. Any thoughts on this? Might this affect P3?
Any accessories that support a specific model?

Im not in a hurry, but once the 2021 Q1-2 models come out I will pull the trigger.
Thanks for your insights!
12.9 better for your first and second points . But understand: it’s bigger too. There’s no free lunch. If you really need compact, then you go 11” and you then also accept some compromise on those use cases.

But fir the second point it’s the same for both sizes. You’re only going to want to do this for fullscreen uses. It’s possible that this might change in future releases of IPadOS - in fact such features are the real reasons to separate IPadOS from the smartphone version of the OS.

Reactions: nicfle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.