Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliaxos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Here is a question, I have an 8yo that would be delighted with an iPad tablet.
My question is does apple have anything similar to what amazon fire does for kids?

Can I set up the iPad to be age appropriate? if so, do I need the latest and greatest model or a two year old device from apple refurb store can also work? (id assume with latest iOS)

Many thanks

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
iPads like iPhones feature a full set of parental controls via iPadOS. Check out their support site for a full documentation.

Reactions: akash.nu

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Hi Everyone,

My question is does apple have anything similar to what amazon fire does for kids?

Can I set up the iPad to be age appropriate? if so, do I need the latest and greatest model or a two year old device from apple refurb store can also work? (id assume with latest iOS)

Many thanks

You can set some serious parental controls, from content, to time limits, and allowed contacts, etc. You can certainly do that on just about any iPad, but honestly, the current base model (9th gen) is a good deal with a higher base storage than before, which allows for downloading full movies, tv shows, etc., in addition to apps/games, which is nice for long car rides.

I’ve helped my daughters set up controls on all my grandkids’ iPads, so I’m pretty familiar with it.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I purchased a Kids Edition Amazon Fire Tablet a few years ago for my son when he was old enough for a tablet. Before giving it to him, I tried it out myself for a little bit. I ended up sending it back and giving him my old iPad instead.

Pretty much everything in my house is Apple at this point, so it was easier for me to give him his own account in my Family Plan. Now, both of my kids are using iPads with their own accounts. They can access movies that we've purchased from Apple, play Apple Arcade games, and use a variety of different apps for school or fun.

The iPad was more expensive than buying the Fire tablet, but the experience is dramatically better, even for kids.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Get the cheapest iPad you can get BUT I would get a newer gen model just so as they grow it will be fast and supported for many years to come. The 9th gen iPad would probably be best as it is the latest you can get with a decent chip and still has a 3.5mm headphone jack which is perfect for kids. If you can get one on sale or refurbished through Apple store that would be fine. Just don't buy a used device because you never know if it was dropped even if it looks perfect and could also have battery degradation. Start off with a new device preferably.

Be-1ne

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
UK
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks
What you need to do is to set up and Apple ID for your child. When you do this you have to input the child’s date of birth. When the child sets up the iPad it limits it to access apps that are within the age bracket. So at 8 years old the child or yourself would not be able to install app that are 9+ or above, unless you chose to go back and edit the child’s age/date of birth.

once you have done this and set them up as part of your family group, so try I can’t remember how to do this I did it ages ago. You then have access to screen time function for the child’s iPad via your iPhone or iPad. This then lets you set up what apps they can access, and set screen time; I.e. my kids get x amount of time per day, and I am able to set when this starts and ends. So for example I can’t set my kids iPad up so that they can only use it when they get home from school, but only for a couple of hours, and they can only access the apps I feel are appropriate.

it’s quite fiddly to set up, but works well once done. if however you let your kid have unlimited acces but just want to be sure the apps are age a-pro private skip the paragraph above.

Reactions: Technerd108

Flood4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2014
I think parental control are awful.
Let’s say you want to restrict your kid with 30min of web browsing per day, iPad will ask you a password… per website. So let’s say you allow google for 1h, it will ask you again for another password on the next website visited!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I think parental control are awful.
Let’s say you want to restrict your kid with 30min of web browsing per day, iPad will ask you a password… per website. So let’s say you allow google for 1h, it will ask you again for another password on the next website visited!

It only asks for the password for each website if you have websites limited to certain ones. If you just blocked inappropriate material, it’ll just keep them off of sites that have it, but not ask for password until they’ve reached the browsing limit.

Flood4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2014
It only asks for the password for each website if you have websites limited to certain ones. If you just blocked inappropriate material, it’ll just keep them off of sites that have it, but not ask for password until they’ve reached the browsing limit.
I just check the setting but I’m not sure what you mean.

I have “block all app” max time = 1 hour in apps limit.

After 1h, iPad ask me for a password if I need more time, but then, it ask me again for every new website I’m visiting.

I don’t have website limited only to certain one (beside adult content, I can go to every website I want if Im using the iPad < 1h).

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My kids have the air 3 for the last couple years. All set up under our family settings and screen time. They can’t even download a free app without having to send a request for us to approve.

You can lock out the stock apps like mail, messenger, safari etc. it works very well when set up. We always set up downtime and they aren’t allowed to be stored in their rooms.

The iPads are by their favourite thing they’ve ever owned lol

Reactions: Technerd108

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I just check the setting but I’m not sure what you mean.

I have “block all app” max time = 1 hour in apps limit.

After 1h, iPad ask me for a password if I need more time, but then, it ask me again for every new website I’m visiting.

I don’t have website limited only to certain one (beside adult content, I can go to every website I want if Im using the iPad < 1h).

Well maybe it’s because your time is up. With my grandkids, we have particular app time limits set, and an overall time limit. Once they reach limit in a particular app, it would ask for password for more time, but as long as they haven’t reached overall time limit, and they are visiting approved sites for them, they don’t get asked password for every site.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Flood4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2014
Well maybe it’s because your time is up. With my grandkids, we have particular app time limits set, and an overall time limit. Once they reach limit in a particular app, it would ask for password for more time, but as long as they haven’t reached overall time limit, and they are visiting approved sites for them, they don’t get asked password for every site.
Hum, not sure what to do.
Yes ipad doesn’t ask password when they haven’t reach the overall time limit only after.
That’s why I hate parental control. Should be a pretty easy problem to solve in 1 min, but it’s not.

I partly solve the problem by using Chrome but it’s linked to my gf google account so I prefer to use safari but at least I can use the iPad once the kid are in bed.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Hum, not sure what to do.
Yes ipad doesn’t ask password when they haven’t reach the overall time limit only after.
That’s why I hate parental control. Should be a pretty easy problem to solve in 1 min, but it’s not.

I partly solve the problem by using Chrome but it’s linked to my gf google account so I prefer to use safari but at least I can use the iPad once the kid are in bed.

My advice is don't overthink it.

Set up the iPad with apps you think your child will want and delete anything you don't want them to access.

If you have them added to your family on Apple ID then every app they want to install you will have to approve.

Most parental controls on browser's and YouTube are pretty bad so if they use those ask them to do it when you are around.

It doesn't matter what platform you are on they all pretty much work the same. Some android tablets have a kid interface but underneath it is the same.

Once you have it set up I am pretty sure the child will love their iPad.

You should not use their iPad. Give them one at let it be for their use only. Otherwise it will complicate things. You can do it but I recommend keeping kids devices separate from parents.

Flood4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2014
My advice is don't overthink it.

Set up the iPad with apps you think your child will want and delete anything you don't want them to access.

If you have them added to your family on Apple ID then every app they want to install you will have to approve.

Most parental controls on browser's and YouTube are pretty bad so if they use those ask them to do it when you are around.

It doesn't matter what platform you are on they all pretty much work the same. Some android tablets have a kid interface but underneath it is the same.

Once you have it set up I am pretty sure the child will love their iPad.

You should not use their iPad. Give them one at let it be for their use only. Otherwise it will complicate things. You can do it but I recommend keeping kids devices separate from parents.
My kids are not that old (5-7).
Technically it’s their iPad (under a family account) but they don’t use it that much, (I don’t want too). So I don’t want to have 3 iPad in the house. 1 is plenty enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.