Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

Recently I have been having problems with my iPad Pro 9.7" on iOS 11.3.1
Sometimes daily it will almost completely freeze up but not quite and then after a period of time re-spring with black screen and spinning cog followed by pin code request.

For example all hardware buttons are unresponsive, including the power button and the home button. Although holding both buttons down does successfully force reboot.
All gestures don't work (including notification centre, dock, multitasking etc) with the exception of 2 finger pinch to view all tabs in Safari. I can open new tabs with + button. Scrolling is unresponsive and then jumps and lags. Pressing the show all tabs button works but can be delayed at times.

No new apps have been installed and settings remain the same.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions?

Thanks

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Maybe this. Anything that does html rendering, including apps like Mail are affected. Just rendering a "poorly" written email in html format could cause this (ie. Don't have to visit a sketch website).

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-css-attack-restarts-an-iphone-or-freezes-a-mac/

Interesting - thanks for the reply.

I just tried it with the test link and it instantly crashed my iPad and displayed the Apple logo before re-spring.

This is different to what I was experiencing as it would just freeze up (apart from 2 finger pinch to view all tabs in Safari, open new tab and scrolling would freeze then lag in jolts) and then eventually after a few minutes show a black screen with spinning wheel (no Apple logo) followed by the pin code request.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Hmmm... I had similar issue with iPhone back with an earlier release, but that was fixed with a 2017 update (11.2, 11.1.x) so should be fixed.

12 tomorrow?

Reactions: bmac89

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I’m definetely looking forward to iOS 12 and hope that it doesn’t disappoint. Whilst I love the features introduced in iOS 11 it has been an ongoing battle of one bug after another.

Thanks

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Analytics on? Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data. Resprings, if I recall correctly will be in there under Respring.xxxxxx. MAYBE something there pointing to what might be running amok.

Reactions: bmac89

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Analytics on? Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data. Resprings, if I recall correctly will be in there under Respring.xxxxxx. MAYBE something there pointing to what might be running amok.

Thanks. I just checked Analytics and coincidentally the bug occurred again.

I did not notice any log with the name Respring.
However the following logs are showing for today’s date:

* stacks+backboardd-
This one coincides with the timing of latest freeze & respring
Bug type 288

* ResetCounter-
Mentions bug type 115 and has a crash reporter key. Reset count: 1
But is wrong time of day unless it occurred earlier also and I have forgotten.

* log-sessions-
Appears to be App Store or TestFlight log

And a log which has occurred a few times on previous days:

*forceReset-full-
Bug type 151

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
It happened again and I can confirm stacks+blackboardd- shows in Analytics when this occurs.

The following stands out to me in the log (not that I understand what it means)

Bug type 288

Reason: Watchdog timeout

I have tried google searching both but nothing leads to a clearer understanding or a solution.

Yesim

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Hello,

Recently I have been having problems with my iPad Pro 9.7" on iOS 11.3.1
Sometimes daily it will almost completely freeze up but not quite and then after a period of time re-spring with black screen and spinning cog followed by pin code request.

For example all hardware buttons are unresponsive, including the power button and the home button. Although holding both buttons down does successfully force reboot.
All gestures don't work (including notification centre, dock, multitasking etc) with the exception of 2 finger pinch to view all tabs in Safari. I can open new tabs with + button. Scrolling is unresponsive and then jumps and lags. Pressing the show all tabs button works but can be delayed at times.

No new apps have been installed and settings remain the same.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the same problem since upgrading iOS 12.1
After each 1-2 minutes my 12.9 inch 1. generation iPad Pro completely freeze up but then quite and then after a period of time re-spring with black screen and spinning cog followed by pin code request. I couldnt solve this unexpected restart problem although i formatted and i setted it as a new iPad. I see stack+backboardd panic-full and restart counting reports usually in analysis data in privacy

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I have the same problem since upgrading iOS 12.1
After each 1-2 minutes my 12.9 inch 1. generation iPad Pro completely freeze up but then quite and then after a period of time re-spring with black screen and spinning cog followed by pin code request. I couldnt solve this unexpected restart problem although i formatted and i setted it as a new iPad. I see stack+backboardd panic-full and restart counting reports usually in analysis data in privacy

Funny I should receive a reply to this thread today... this bug stopped occurring for a while but unfortunately started happening again today. Usually once it starts happening, it keeps happening for atleast a number of days in a row.

If you come across any solution please post here - thanks.

Can Orhan

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
i have the same problem in iphone se 1 gen too
iPhone restarts up to 3 minutes after the screen is opened.

{"bug_type":"288","timestamp":"2020-05-17 10:19:15.00 +0300","os_version":"iPhone OS 13.4.1 (17E262)","incident_id":"78350D3B-332F-4E73-B766-8EEA745B81D9"}
{
"build" : "iPhone OS 13.4.1 (17E262)",
"product" : "iPhone8,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0: Mon Feb 24 22:04:21 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.102.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_S8000",
"tuning" : {

slimepozzi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2022
My phone too reset for bug type 288, it’s maybe freeze or just reset, and my display show glitches at this moment, my phone doing this 3-4 on day, and i angry, in different forums people say this problem cause in memory, broken memory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.