Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeyefxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
I am new to Ipads though i have had MBP for a few years now. Had many Android tablets but now have an old gen 2 I pad, 2011 i believe.
I am looking for a file manager to look to look at files downloaded to the ipad, just like Finder on a MBP.
Can someone recommend one please.

cheers

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
now have an old gen 2 I pad, 2011 i believe.
iPad 2 is now obsolete and at most will run iOS 9.3, an ancient version of iOS. It will be difficult to find any apps in the App Store which support this model, especially if you don't have any previously downloaded apps in your App Store purchase history. You may have to resort to jailbreaking the device to install useful apps.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I am new to Ipads though i have had MBP for a few years now. Had many Android tablets but now have an old gen 2 I pad, 2011 i believe.
I am looking for a file manager to look to look at files downloaded to the ipad, just like Finder on a MBP.
Can someone recommend one please.

cheers
iPad 2 doesn't have a file manager. File Manager requires you to have iOS 11 or later, which the iOS 9 does not support.

It also pains me to tell you this, but even my iPad mini 2 on iOS 12 is almost unusable, which is why I upgraded to the 9th gen iPad.

The iPad 2 is pretty much only good for watching movies, videos or for recipes or you can put it in your car to use it as a navigation system, but even for that it's outdated.

The only way to make the iPad 2 usable in any way is to jailbreak it as mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.