Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Both iPads for myself & my wife are in desperate need of an upgrade & they are no longer supported by Apple.

Right now the gen 9 is a pretty good price but it’s also from 2021. How many more yrs will Apple support this model? Is it just safer to pay the extra & go with the 10?

Here in Canada the 9th gen goes for $440 and the 10th gen jumps to $599.

Any chance the 10 will drop in price soon?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I would go with the 10 only because you get a more recent design, a camera in landscape and USB-C port. But regarding software update support, I would think the 10 will get maybe just an extra year of support compared to the 9? You will still get about 5 years of software support after Apple stop selling the 9 (which they still do).

As Apple didn't release any iPad in 2023, I think an update to the base iPad might be coming soon, but it could be in a few weeks or in a few months.

Reactions: Glennster

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Both iPads for myself & my wife are in desperate need of an upgrade & they are no longer supported by Apple.

Right now the gen 9 is a pretty good price but it’s also from 2021. How many more yrs will Apple support this model? Is it just safer to pay the extra & go with the 10?

I'm still using the iPad 9, its still pretty good for what I do. What do you do?

If I were to buy an iPad in 2024, I'll look to the iPad Air 4 and 5, at good price.

Reactions: Glideslope

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Unless you having tight budget, the 10 is the obvious choice because it’s having new design, newer CPU, faster WiFi and USB-C, but the only minus is the the front landscape camera.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Can you not find a retailer discounting the 10th-generation iPads in Canada? It's a nice iPad, at the right price, but I wouldn't pay Apple's price.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You will still get about 5 years of software support after Apple stop selling the 9 (which they still do).
Nope, that's hardware support, not software. But Apple has been supporting base iPads for 6 years, so iPad 9 should get iPadOS 20 and iPad 10 iPadOS 21.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Can you not find a retailer discounting the 10th-generation iPads in Canada? It's a nice iPad, at the right price, but I wouldn't pay Apple's price.

I wish. Here in Canada thats like trying to locate a needle in a haystack.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I continue to use my 9th gen iPad daily. It's every bit as good now as it was when I first bought it. As to which you should buy, IMO, it depends more upon the accessories you plan on buying.

Only the 9th gen has a smart cover. The 10th gen has a smart folio. The 9th gen has the smart keyboard cover. The 10th gen has the Magic Keyboard folio.

Accessories for the 10th gen cost a lot more than those for the 9th gen. There are some real bargains to be had on 9th gen accessories as manufacturers try to unload their inventory.

Apple is still actively selling the 9th gen on their website... the countdown timer to the time when Apple stops supporting it doesn't start until they remove it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Neither, go for refurb iPad Air 4 for $589 because it has a better display and features than iPad 10.

iPad 9 is too long in the tooth with 3GB RAM and A13.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

nnc

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2023
In the US, Best Buy's price for the 10th Generation has been bouncing back and forth this month between list price ($449) and $350. I would keep an eye on BB Canada's price. BB US has the 9th Gen on sale for $250 ($80 off) which would be a great buy if you don't mind prolonging your usage of Lightning cables and using the older interface with the Home button.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I’d strongly recommend the 10, just for that extra GB of RAM. The 9 reloads will drive you up the wall unless you only open a couple of safari tabs at a time! Tried the 9 and it was a no go for me.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
I’d strongly recommend the 10, just for that extra GB of RAM. The 9 reloads will drive you up the wall unless you only open a couple of safari tabs at a time! Tried the 9 and it was a no go for me.
When did you notice those reloads? The 9 was working fine for me, until 4 weeks ago when I updated it. It seems a bit more laggy in some cases (with safari, namely).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
When did you notice those reloads? The 9 was working fine for me, until 4 weeks ago when I updated it. It seems a bit more laggy in some cases (with safari, namely).
reloads don't make it laggy, you just lose what you were doing... (unless there is automatic saving).
For me the issue is with Safari, which reloads constantly when I have several tabs open (if you don't you won't even notice)
I use safari for youtube to avoid ads so if I stop a video I cannot resume later from where I stopped most of the time as it relads with 3GB (and often even with 4, only 6 or more are really fine).

Reactions: RaphaZ

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

Not the lag, it's the darn reloads.. My primary use for this was watching YT & browsing on my treadmill at home ( since I hate doing cardio lol.. this is a distraction! ) For that purpose alone, the 9 ( that I had bought last month and subsequently exchanged for the 10 a few days later ) was excruciating to use ( for me ) .. Even with 3 - 4 tabs open on Safari, and the YT app running in the background, there were frequent tab reloads..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.