Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalaxyTab8Plus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
Please help, Im really pissed off.😇

This is a 3 month old iPad with several hairline scratches, and I have no idea where they came from. I swear I take good care of it, wipe it and dont just throw it in my bag. Possible cause:
- my home is very dusty, as in micro dust, and I have an irritated scalp so small stuff maybe falling out you know. Is it possible that I was careless about micro dust and my hair focciles and other stuff getting on the screen, and the pencil pushing these scratched the screen?
- I mean, even then… my mom has an Air 2, she NEVER wipes the screen and doesnt handle it. Like a baby, still she has a perfect screen.
- at this point Im scared to even wipe the screen thinking that the cloth pushing the dust will scratch it…

and yea I will get a screen protector, but it will take time and Im tired of being afraid to use my

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

This is a 3 month old iPad with several hairline scratches, and I have no idea where they came from. I swear I take good care of it, wipe it and dont just throw it in my bag. Possible cause:
- my home is very dusty, as in micro dust, and I have an irritated scalp so small stuff maybe falling out you know. Is it possible that I was careless about micro dust and my hair focciles and other stuff getting on the screen, and the pencil pushing these scratched the screen?
- I mean, even then… my mom has an Air 2, she NEVER wipes the screen and doesnt handle it. Like a baby, still she has a perfect screen.
- at this point Im scared to even wipe the screen thinking that the cloth pushing the dust will scratch it…

and yea I will get a screen protector, but it will take time and Im tired of being afraid to use my
Yikes. That’s not good. A screen protector should protect it going forward and will cover up the scratches so you don’t see them.

So many claim they never get scratches on their devices and go without protectors. Not the case with me. I’m super careful with my stuff and will still get surfaces scratches. Not dusty at all here - just happens. Maybe I’m just real fussy and see scratches that others wouldn’t.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Benlurks1010

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2022
I wish I could tell you where the scratches come from, but I live in very similar conditions and it doesn’t happen with me. Just try not to be so stressed about it. I’m guessing those scratches aren’t deep enough to cause discoloration on the screen.

You take care of it as well as you know how, but wear and tear still happens. I just set up a brand new iPhone a couple days ago, determined to take perfect care of it and keep it spotless, but that quickly changed when the new cable I was charging it with coiled up and slammed it to the floor🤣 Got a couple of nice scratches from that one, but the screen still looks flawless when lit!

There’s a point where you have to just let it go and say, I got a life to live and this stuff is gonna have to take the scratches and keep up with me.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

The screens on iPads, even the entry level model, are durable. It takes something harder than dust to scratch them.

Based on those images, I'd say a bit of grit got caught in your cloth. Then when you wiped the screen, it scratched. This can easily happen if you use a microfiber cloth. These cloths attract dust and grit. It also explains why your mom's screen isn't scratched... she never wipes it.

I know that all the cool kids get tempered glass protectors, but I personally don't see the point of that. I use the traditional (plastic, vinyl, whatever flexible material they're made of) protectors. They're easier to apply, more durable, and easier to remove. Whenever I have the option, I use matte protectors. They cut down on the glare, eliminate finger smudges, and offer a more consistent feel when using my finger or Pencil.

GalaxyTab8Plus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
The screens on iPads, even the entry level model, are durable. It takes something harder than dust to scratch them.

Based on those images, I'd say a bit of grit got caught in your cloth. Then when you wiped the screen, it scratched. This can easily happen if you use a microfiber cloth. These cloths attract dust and grit. It also explains why your mom's screen isn't scratched... she never wipes it.

I know that all the cool kids get tempered glass protectors, but I personally don't see the point of that. I use the traditional (plastic, vinyl, whatever flexible material they're made of) protectors. They're easier to apply, more durable, and easier to remove. Whenever I have the option, I use matte protectors. They cut down on the glare, eliminate finger smudges, and offer a more consistent feel when using my finger or Pencil.
There you go! I think so too, this should be the most likely answer. I indeed used a microfibre cloth but it wasnt used exclusive for cleaning my ipad. Quite ironic that I scratched it by cleaning it, but now Im smarter 😄😄

Reactions: Jackbequickly

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
3 things:

1) Don't worry about this. It's highly likely these were already there when you got the iPad. It's just the nature of glass. It's tough stuff, but it's not impervious to damage. Even the hard plastic tip on an Apple Pencil can't scratch it on its own though.

2) As @sracer said, if you want more piece of mind, you can go the screen protector route from here in. It will not only hide the micro scratching, it will also keep you from causing more and you'll probably eventually forget about what I think are very minor marks that are already there.

3) If you're an Apple Pencil user, it's good to just check that there's no grit or anything embedded in the end of it or just stuck to it somehow. You can't scratch an iPad screen with the hard plastic Pencil tips, but you CAN scratch it if something abrasive gets in between those and the glass.

Reactions: Nhwhazup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.