Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boblister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
North West UK
For general avaition here in the UK I think it would be superb in the cockpit. There are similar devices already being sold, but no where near as good. Look at this for example.
http://www.flightstore.co.uk/adventurer-pilot-7000-7-touchscreen-gps.asp
If I had something like that on my iPad (when I get it) I would have a better display, a massive document storage and also it's cheaper. This is one of the reasons I will be holding out for the 3G model. I am not bothered about the sim chip as I will use it on wifi if I need internet access. I have a mobile mifi device that my iPhone uses already, it can share it. But the GPS built into it will be a godsend for a lot of things I use. And yes the GPS works without a 3G signal before anyone says. It can be slow to start up but who cares, so is my Garmin. I have lived for years without assisted GPS.

I just hope it really is available here in the UK at the same time as the WIFI models.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Personally, I do not see the iPad as a primary navigational device. However, it could be an augment device for situational awareness which can come in handy at times.

I do see the iPad as a wonderful device for things like pre-flight planning, W&B, weather, accessing reference material, etc. I also see it as a convenient device for in-flight use such as fuel checks and monitoring, flight plan updates due to weather (winds aloft changes), and similar tasks.

I would have loved to have one back when I was flying NVG missions in Loaches and Cobras. It would have definitely come in handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.