Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
No one really knows until they get one in hand.

However, it is definitely plausible as they designed it to be compatible with existing SIM cards using an adapter to make a Microsim to Fullsim.

Getting that exact cut will probably be hard, and not worth it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes it will work you can buy micro sim punches on eBay or just have your cars cloned down a local Market.

yayisl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
cloned? so i can be using the 3g on my ipad and iphone at the same time?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I got the mywi today on my iphone. I give it 5 stars. (downside) You have to JB your iphone to get it plus $8.99.

Theres also a online applet out there that enables tethering if you are running 3.1.2 firmware or lower. (no JB necessary)

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I got the mywi today on my iphone. I give it 5 stars. (downside) You have to JB your iphone to get it plus $8.99.

Theres also a online applet out there that enables tethering if you are running 3.1.2 firmware or lower. (no JB necessary)

However, official tethering won't work between an iPhone and iPad as of right now. And MyWi sucks your battery down. And it cost me $9.99 for the NoRock version. Lastly, it's locked to a specific device, so if you get a new iPhone you'll have to rebuy MyWi.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
What about using the $30 data connection from the iPad and using an adapter to pop it into an unactive iPhone and use Skype as your main and only phone?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
However, official tethering won't work between an iPhone and iPad as of right now. And MyWi sucks your battery down. And it cost me $9.99 for the NoRock version. Lastly, it's locked to a specific device, so if you get a new iPhone you'll have to rebuy MyWi.

If you've bought a jailbroken app and you get a new iphone you can have the dev add your new iphone so you won't have to buy it again. That's what I did for mewseek pro.

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
What about using the $30 data connection from the iPad and using an adapter to pop it into an unactive iPhone and use Skype as your main and only phone?

This would be an ideal solution for me. I'm a very light phone user (1-2 outgoing calls/week) so the Skype restrictions wouldn't be a problem. (ie, unable to receive calls unless Skype app is active) Does anyone know of any downsides to this plan? Would GPS on the iPhone be affected? Is there any way that Apple/AT&T could prevent this from being done? It seems as if it would be a lot easier to transfer the SIM from the iPad to the iPhone, rather than the other way around.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

What is this "applet?"

I just checked and thankfully I haven't updated. I am always reluctant to jailbreak, but I NEED tethering.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
If AT&T has lived up to their promise, you could tether legitimately today. But they didn't. Jailbreaking is a great way to get what you were supposed to get from AT&T. But $8.99? Download SiNful iPhone Reop on Cydia and tether for free.

Once your iPhone is JB and tether enabled, you can just get the WiFi model of the iPad and tether off you iPhone. Or a smarter idea would be to forget the iPad altogether and get a Macbook Pro.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
If AT&T has lived up to their promise, you could tether legitimately today. But they didn't. Jailbreaking is a great way to get what you were supposed to get from AT&T. But $8.99? Download SiNful iPhone Reop on Cydia and tether for free.

Once your iPhone is JB and tether enabled, you can just get the WiFi model of the iPad and tether off you iPhone. Or a smarter idea would be to forget the iPad altogether and get a Macbook Pro.

I'm actually not so sure about that. I have yet to hear anyone tether an iPod Touch to an iPhone using the official tether solution. When you set it up on the Mac, it creates a special network for Bluetooth. I don't think that happens with the iPhone/iPad OS software.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm actually not so sure about that. I have yet to hear anyone tether an iPod Touch to an iPhone using the official tether solution. When you set it up on the Mac, it creates a special network for Bluetooth. I don't think that happens with the iPhone/iPad OS software.

Well technically what he said is still true since the sinful iphone repo has a cracked version of mywi so you can tether an ipad to an iphone for free.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Well technically what he said is still true since the sinful iphone repo has a cracked version of mywi so you can tether an ipad to an iphone for free.

Yes, I have discussed MyWi ad nauseum as well. But that is not "officially" supported. The officially supported tethering solution is bluetooth/usb and no one has been able to use that to tether an iPhone to an iPad touch. Also, the MyWi version in the repo is based on Rock Extensions. Good luck with that. I personally bought the $10 MyWi No Rock version. And it's a battery vampire.

Hence why I'm going 3G.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I can also confirm that using mywi is to all practical standards impossible without also having your iphone charging at the same time.

The best solution to me seems to be the cutting the SIM to micro size and swapping from one device to the other, obv keeping the spent trimming or adaptor in the iPhone sim tray.

I can't find a microsim 'punch' anywhere - on ebay or elsewhere. If you can just cut and use, someone could make a killing flooding the market with a suitable punch.

I'd buy one for a fiver just to know I didn't have to arse around with a ruler and scalpel.

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I keep hearing about how these Micro SIM punch things are so easily available, but I've yet to see one for sale anywhere.
Another iPhone tethering option is to tether to a Mac using the built in USB method and then enable Internet sharing over Wifi for the iPad. That's what I'll probably do. Not practical while out and about, but I'm only planning to use the iPad at home anyway.

jhonygaddar

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Hi...
Its been really good experience and also the idea and concept is really good one so i have to check it and gone through it...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apparently the 3g iPad is supposed to allow one to activate it on a month to month basis without visiting AT&T. Steve Jobs said you can activate the service from the device. So this must mean that the iPad has a 3g micro-sim already installed.

From this it should be easy to use it as a stencil and cut it with a #11 exacto blade. The problem is getting it back into the iPhone. It shouldn't be too hard to make an adapter out of cardboard (or the existing cut-away plastic. But I'm wondering how long it will be until some Chinese manufacturers start making iPhone sim trays for micro-sim. That would be really nice.

I tend to believe the iPad has micro-sim just to prevent many people from sharing the sim with their iPhone. The iPad is a much larger device and doesn't need the extra few mm of space. It should be interesting to see if the iPhone that comes out this summer has micro-sim. It could use the extra room, as micro-sims were made for small devices. If it doesn't have it, then we'll know that they did this on purpose. Otherwise good news for 3g iPad owners.

I could also see AT&T devising a way of recognizing if the sim is in an iPad or iPhone on a certain account and disabling it (heck they might already have a way of doing this since existing tethers still use the iPhone for the data connection and somewhat hides the use). It would be dumb if they disabled it since we're only using one device at a time, but we're talking about AT&T here, and more money, less service is the way to go in some parts of the USA. At least where I live service is good and fast!

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
This is a cool idea. If I'm able to just take my SIM from my cellphone and put it into the iPad when I want, I might get the 3G version after all…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.