Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricAndy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
What i was wondering...
As we all know Apple should update the HDD in the iPhone and iPod Touch this summer. Back in December Toshiba launched the 64GB chip (which propperly is used in the iPad) and who knows if Toshiba launches a 128Gb by Sept 2010 at the let's rock?
So my point is, if Apple launches a 128GB (or 256GB) iPod Touch, wouldn't that make the iPad, with it's maximum capacity of 64GB, completely silly and outdated?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Yes. Your iPad will be rendered unusable when the new iPod Touch's come out. I suggest you sell your iPad now.

And no, you cannot upgrade the capacity of any of Apple's iPhone/Touch/iPad devices.

Czicks

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
The iPhone and iPad both do not have a HDD. They have solid state flash memory.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So my point is, if Apple launches a 128GB (or 256GB) iPod Touch, wouldn't that make the iPad, with it's maximum capacity of 64GB, completely silly and outdated?

Yes, as the capacity is the one and only spec that counts on all devices.

That's why I buy a new MBP at every update, as they have a bigger HDD and maybe even SSD, thus the old MBPs become silly and outdated.

By the way, iPads, iPod Touches, iPod Nanos and iPhones don't use an HDD, but solid state flash memory.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007

Yes, completely silly and outdated. That's why I only got the 32GB version.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A 128 - 256 GB SSD in an ipod touch :D

Well yes if you want to market the iPod Touch as ridiculously & prohibitively expensive and therefore utterly 'niche' and devoid of mainstream revenue.

Apple will likely top out at 64GB for a good deal of time before the price of SSD begins to fall rather DRAMATICALLY.

When it does, you can guarantee they will offer new iPhones & iPads with upgraded storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.