Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hello everyone, I left my ipad 4th gen (2012) a few years turned off. Recently I had to turn it on to get a few photos I left in the tablet, but it appears to be broken. When I plug in the charger, the charging logo appears (with the correct lightning symbol) and then it changes to the apple logo... and then changes back to the charging logo, and then changes back to the apple logo, and it keeps like this forever.

I tried a reset, holding power button + home button, but did no good. What may be the problem? Perhaps battery issues? My local store still changes it, they offer legacy support. Im open to ideas. Thanks in advance!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello everyone, I left my ipad 4th gen (2012) a few years turned off. Recently I had to turn it on to get a few photos I left in the tablet, but it appears to be broken. When I plug in the charger, the charging logo appears (with the correct lightning symbol) and then it changes to the apple logo... and then changes back to the charging logo, and then changes back to the apple logo, and it keeps like this forever.

I tried a reset, holding power button + home button, but did no good. What may be the problem? Perhaps battery issues? My local store still changes it, they offer legacy support. Im open to ideas. Thanks in advance!
It's not unusual that lithium-ion/lithium-polymer batteries such as used in these devices fail after an extended period of time when fully discharged. I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on getting this iPad repaired.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Let it do that until it boots into the OS (which could take quite a while). Thats what I did with a 1st gen iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.