Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
If only Apple could allow tethering from the ipad to the iphone for those countries where tethering is allowed !!

They must really be mad if they believe I'd buy a 3g ipad after having a 3g iphone already.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
I got the wifi only since i planned on tethering. Only problem is that I have iPhone 3G running the latest os 3.1.3. From what I read you can't jailbreak this os. And os 4.0 is going to be out in June which will do who knows what for jailbreaking.

Any tips for jail breaking 3.1.3 and has anyone heard of AT&T getting wise to tethering with mywi? Also i know it runs down the phone battery but if phone is plugged in to a car charger no problems right?

I have non-jailbroken 3.1.3 and have MyWi running on it. I just created a wrapper on .app, codesign with my developer credentials, gets installed via Xcode and it works.

Currently figuring out how MyWi works. It's using private frameworks which Apple won't allow in the Appstore. Better if the just implement Wifi tether in the OS.

autopsytheclown

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
I never knew about this b/c I never jailbroke my iPhone which still is running on 3.1.2 so with that said, is it easy to jailbreak a phone? I did a quick youtube search & see a ton a videos on how to but wasn't sure which one I should follow. Can someone point me in the right direction & link me to the best how-to video so I can join in on the fun? thanks!

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I have non-jailbroken 3.1.3 and have MyWi running on it. I just created a wrapper on .app, codesign with my developer credentials, gets installed via Xcode and it works.

Currently figuring out how MyWi works. It's using private frameworks which Apple won't allow in the Appstore. Better if the just implement Wifi tether in the OS.

One more time in English, please.

pbellamy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
New York
I"m using MyWi too and it is pretty amazing. Great speed!

I'm concerned that it's using a lot of data though. It seems to use more than if I just surf on the iphone. It will be interesting to see if this spike shows up on my ATT bill and if they do anything about it.

Interestingly last night my ipad ceased playing with my home router altogether (I am getting a bit mad at the wifi issue!) but I was able to connect via the iphone tether instead...

I'm on a UK 3g jailbroken and unlocked iphone. I need it to allow my ATT sim to work in the US and I'm keeping it on 3.01. Sooner or later I'm sure I'll have/want to update to 4.0 but I'd need to be convinced that a jailbreak is available that can keep the tethering/unlock option available.

I'm still wondering if I should swap the ipad for a 3g version though as I'm not worried about the cost but I'd like the flexibility. Right now given the wifi issue I figure I could get Apple to swap this model up. (timing is everything).

PrinceDraven

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
London, UK

Guys, am I right in saying that i cannot JB my 3Gs - 3.1.3 (7E18)?

Never JB'd before and would not consider it if it wasnt for the MyWi

Phatcat73

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
I never knew about this b/c I never jailbroke my iPhone which still is running on 3.1.2 so with that said, is it easy to jailbreak a phone? I did a quick youtube search & see a ton a videos on how to but wasn't sure which one I should follow. Can someone point me in the right direction & link me to the best how-to video so I can join in on the fun? thanks!

http://www.hackthatphone.com

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008

I used Rock Your Phone. It's dead easy.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
Does that require the $99 annual fee though?

Yes i think it does unfortunately :( unless the fee is to have your app available on the appstore??
But i have hard that some developers shared their accounts to beta testers or something like that, i'm not sure about that though..

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
If you have a developer account you can run the MyWi code on your iPhone without jailbreaking

How would you do this? Just download the app from your iPhone via SCP to your computer? And then what? I'm just curious.

I'm a developer, but I've never installed someone else's App via XCode.

Thanks

hualon said:

Yes it does. That is for sure.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
If you have a developer account you can run the MyWi code on your iPhone without jailbreaking

Does it work, though?
Official apps run in a sandboxed environment… not sure if jailbreak apps modified to run using your developer credentials would work..

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
How would you do this? Just download the app from your iPhone via SCP to your computer? And then what? I'm just curious.

Thanks

Yes it does. That is for sure.

And then import it into Xcode and install?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?

Yes, you can do that with any compiled app. Just create a wrapper for it.

Yes, it will give you a binary certificate which is used to codesign(DRM) an app. I think there's stuff on the net that allows you to codesign using a dummy developer certificate.

There's no root access on non-jailbroken phone. So SCP won't work. Xcode's build workflow already does the copying. How else does your .app get installed for testing? This method works without jailbreaking.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Same with Mifis, don't even need an iPhone :)

This is becoming more and more apparent to me. I have Sprints Overdrive unit and 4g coming here in June, hell the 3g coverage is so much better so far on Sprints network than AT&T's I'm seriously considering dumping the iPhone for something else. (No clue what just yet) Every app i used on my iPhone daily is working on the iPad and imo many times more enjoyable on the larger screen.

I don't really have any major complaints with AT&T's voice service, but I'm done waiting for them to let us tether and with them specifically having a data plan for the iPad I doubt they will come out with a tethered solution anytime soon. I have no issues paying for the bandwidth, just done waiting for what is already available, and appearing to be just as fast in my area, with much better coverage. Sitting at my house, my iPhone has 3 bars of Edge only coverage... Sprint Overdrive device has 4 of 6 bars of 3g with speed tests showing 1.0 to 1.3mb dl speeds and 500 to 640kpbs up over the first week of use. My cable internet is cap'd at 3mb as I live outside a bit out of the metro area so the mifi unit is challenging the cable during peak hours for speed, which is sad...but a fact of what's available.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Yes, you can do that with any compiled app. Just create a wrapper for it.

Yes, it will give you a binary certificate which is used to codesign(DRM) an app. I think there's stuff on the net that allows you to codesign using a dummy developer certificate.

There's no root access on non-jailbroken phone. So SCP won't work. Xcode's build workflow already does the copying. How else does your .app get installed for testing? This method works without jailbreaking.

What do you mean create a wrapper? I'm going to mess with this tonight.

jicka

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010

go to http://blackra1n.com download blackra1n. open it and with your iphone plugged into your computer click the big "make it rain" button.

your phone will be jailbroken in 30 seconds or so its really easy. this works on 3.1.2 but not 3.1.3

then install rock and download mywi there is a free trial

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Clandestine recon behind enemy lines

Tested this at the Apple Store and it worked great!

Attachments

• mywi.jpg
    mywi.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 116
  • store.jpg
    store.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 122

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Guys, am I right in saying that i cannot JB my 3Gs - 3.1.3 (7E18)?

Never JB'd before and would not consider it if it wasnt for the MyWi

I accidently upgraded to 3.1.3 when I had to reload my iphone backup & I was able to JB it with redsn0w.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007

You happen to have a link that explains creating a wrapper?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.