Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is OP’s complaint about sideways apps on iPad valid?

• 1st World Problem.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • OP’s arms must be broken.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valid complaint, but OP should get over it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m sharpening my pitchfork, and where’s my torch?

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

TIOATIOA

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
SC, USA
How is it 2020 and I still have to turn my iPad 90 degrees to look at an iPhone formatted app? Surely someone got fired from Apple for not making this part of iPadOS. Sure you can blame developers for not pushing an iPad version of an app. But if the iPad is 100% capable of running the iPhone app, why can’t they just hard code a 90 deg display rotation on it. The pixel doubling option is a welcome feature, so I can see REALLY LARGE iPhone apps SIDEWAYS.

Cast your vote above!

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Hmmm... it’s not like developers have had ten years to produce an iPad version.

Oh wait...

Reactions: Slix

penningtonj

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
This is definitely a problem. I get the argument that the developers should make an iPad version and in a perfect world that would be the case. In the real world though there are several apps that don’t have an iPad version that we still need to use and it makes it tough with the magic keyboard (or other keyboard without a rotating iPad dock).

I feel like there must be some sort of technical reason making this more difficult then it seems. It is a silly problem.

TIOATIOA

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
SC, USA
I feel like there must be some sort of technical reason making this more difficult then it seems. It is a silly problem.

At this point, I wonder if it’s perhaps a legal issue, like someone (not Apple) owns a patent regarding the process to turn the iPhone app 90 degrees and enlarge it. Seems silly, but at this point there has to be a logical reason for this “oversight”.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
At this point, I wonder if it’s perhaps a legal issue, like someone (not Apple) owns a patent regarding the process to turn the iPhone app 90 degrees and enlarge it. Seems silly, but at this point there has to be a logical reason for this “oversight”.
Today after updating to iPadOS 15 I noticed that instagram auto-rotated on my iPad Air 3 - can see the iphone view with the ipad attached to my Smart Keyboard. But other apps, such as Wyze, do not auto-rotate with the ipad in landscape mode.

Does anyone know if the auto-rotation is app-specific?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.