Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bj097

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I'm wondering, if my iPad is locked with 4-digit passcode, locked before it's stolen.

It's possible for the skilled theft to break through the passcode with brutal trial from 0000 to 9999? It's not that much number. Would the device lock up forever after some many failed login?

Or if it's possible for any hacker in the world to break through it and look into my data?

I am not very worried the device itself. I am very worried about the data. I always make a backup, I am not worried about loss. I am more worried about if anyone else without passcode could get through the password wall and get a hold of my important and confidential personal data

I don't think distant erasing the device is an option because the theft could walk away very quickly from the wifi environment

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Which iPad do you have and what version of iOS is it running? You can always set in a 6 digit passcode or even a more complex password if you're worried about theft.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Breaking the code is possible. But the thief only got there attempts after each other,then its blocked until a time delay is up. Try to always have the " find my iPad " function running,if you do so,you can block it totally by internet remote control.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
There are 10,000 possible combinations using a 4 digit code. I think the thief would probably give up before guessing it.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
I know there's an option to iCloud wipe your device and to set wipe if the password is guessed wrong 10 times

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
After 5 try you have to wait one minute. After the 6th try 5 min, then 10, 15,60.
After 10 won guesses it says iPad disabled and you have to connect it to the iTunes installation it was last synced with to enable more inputs.
So no, you can't just brute force your way into it.

And if Find my iPad is enabled it's you need the login for the apple id if you reset it to activate the device.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Most likely they will plug it to itunes to restore it.
Did you have icloud find my ipad enabled on that device?

findmyphone_ipad_iphone_01.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.