Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Does anyone know of an iPad Mini Retina case where the front cover folds around completely flat to the back, easily held that way with one hand without anything flapping around, and--here's the kicker--has an opening on the front cover that aligns with the opening for the camera on the back cover, so you can easily take pictures when holding it that way?

That's a very niche request... I don't know of any that have the camera hole on the front cover.

Also, anybody have any experience with the Magpul iPad mini case? It would be perfect if it was compatible with a smart cover!

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
This STM is the best case ever

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 414

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Can anyone recommend a case or whatever that is a Smart Cover, can be put in landscape or portrait, and provides a lil protection? Is the targus versavue a smart case?

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Can anyone recommend a case or whatever that is a Smart Cover, can be put in landscape or portrait, and provides a lil protection? Is the targus versavue a smart case?

Moshi Versacover or Devicewear Detour.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Moshi Versacover or Devicewear Detour.

Hmm are the magnets strong in the versacover? Need to check out the detour too

----------

Man the detour looks nice. Do they make it for the 2nd gen mini? Can someone drop a link

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012

----------

Man the detour looks nice. Do they make it for the 2nd gen mini? Can someone drop a link

Strong enough to keep the lid closed while upside down, and strong enough to keep it in a good stand position, with the non-Retina version.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

----------

Yes, the magnets are pretty strong--stronger than the apple case and cover magnets. As for the detour, my bad...wasn't aware that it's not available for the rMini.

tag86

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I bought the Kavaj Berlin case - as another user reported, the case is so snug that the sleep/wake button remains depressed, prompting the "slide to power off." I ended up cutting out a hole for it, but I still hate this case. It's generally junky quality, and it doesn't stand up on its own very well. I should have just returned it, but since I altered it I can't.

I have a Pack n' Smooch felt sleeve for my MBP - it's very nice. Although I wouldn't get one for an iPad though, since the stand and sleep/wake functionality is a priority.

I'm pretty late to the party, but you guys clearly need to visit the website to see how to deal with the "stuck" power button. It's LITERALLY a ten second fix.

You stick your finger against the underside of the leather and just stretch it out for a few strokes. Works perfectly after that.

Remember, it's REAL leather and nice stuff at that. I've got the Berlin and Hamburg, no issues fixing this with either.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I can confirm the lifeproof nuud is waterproof with the ipad mini retina. It doesn't just fit but also water tight. Also when recording videos it uses the top mic not the back mic.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Updated the links in the original post for some of the Amazon items that were relisted.

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
I'm curious, has anyone used the AmpJacket for iPad mini and found it to offer sound from both sides of the mini? I really REALLY want front facing stereo speakers from the iPad, but if I could even get both channels just coming from both sides while in landscape mode, that would be great for TV / movie watching.

Anyone using it?

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Bought both the Speck Candyshell and the Air Jacket Solo for my iPad mini with retina display. Both great cases, fit is perfect on both, even though there is no cut out for the second microphone on the Speck. I am using the Speck now as I am traveling with it a bit and my 16 month boy likes to get play with it too, but I like both cases. The Air Jacket is super thin and fits really well on the mini, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Bought both the Speck Candyshell and the Air Jacket Solo for my iPad mini with retina display. Both great cases, fit is perfect on both, even though there is no cut out for the second microphone on the Speck. I am using the Speck now as I am traveling with it a bit and my 16 month boy likes to get play with it too, but I like both cases. The Air Jacket is super thin and fits really well on the mini, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

After having my retina Mini for a few months I find myself using the Apple Smart Cover while at home and using the Apple Smart Case as my travel case.

They're both the slimmest and lightest options I've found.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
After having my retina Mini for a few months I find myself using the Apple Smart Cover while at home and using the Apple Smart Case as my travel case.

They're both the slimmest and lightest options I've found.

When using the smart cover at home, are you concerned about not having any protection for the back of the iPad? The reason I'm asking this question is that I recently purchased the iPad rMini and I'm undecided as to what type of protection I should use with this device since I'll probably use it at home.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Best case for the iPad mini is the Magpul case. I wish they made one for the iPad Air.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 195

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
When using the smart cover at home, are you concerned about not having any protection for the back of the iPad? The reason I'm asking this question is that I recently purchased the iPad rMini and I'm undecided as to what type of protection I should use with this device since I'll probably use it at home.

I have nothing on the back and so far I haven't taken any care to protect the back. In my experience, it's pretty durable against most scratches.

If you're that concerned, get a DODOcase back cover sticker. They have a 40% sale going right now.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
It looks great! Btw, is the case lightweight?

Fun to see someone else finally got their ClamCase Pro for rMini. Regarding weights, thought I would share a summary for you. Most are manufacturer's specs, but some I just weighed at home. Click to enlarge

Weights_zps063a3c0a.jpg

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Fun to see someone else finally got their ClamCase Pro for rMini. Regarding weights, thought I would share a summary for you. Most are manufacturer's specs, but some I just weighed at home. Click to enlarge

Weights_zps063a3c0a.jpg

So it doubles the weight of the rMini...

szandor420

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
It looks great! Btw, is the case lightweight?

on it's own, yes. with the mini...meh...it still feels 'light' depending on what you consider light, but, it definitely feels solid and durable. i.e., like a small laptop.

Fun to see someone else finally received their case. Mine came in a while ago, but then they quit shipping for almost 2 months. Mine works great. How is your's doing?

i would have liked the outside, as well as the insert for the keyboard, to match the keyboard bezel but i guess i'll ghost armor it like my macbook. other than that so far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.