Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c7fnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hi,

I am looking at getting an ipad mini 2 to carry with me on holiday and use it to transfer pictures off my camera and onto some form of storage.

I currently have a WD Passport Ultra. If I got the required adaptor would it be able to connect this to the ipad to transfer pictures to it?

Cheers
C7FNT

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
No you cannot connect external hard drives or USB keys to the iPad you have to get a device that makes a wifi hotspot and networks the drive I think there is one called the hootoo.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I use a RAVPower Filehub for this and it works great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZWS9ZE

On a trip to the Galapagos I used it to transfer thousands of RAW pics and videos from my camera's SD card to a WD portable drive. Also use it to stream movies from the drive to my Air 2. I use both the RAVPower app and FileBrowser to access the drive and any other attached media.

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I used a Seagate GoFlex Satellite Wireless hard drive to transfer files. But Seagate Wireless hard drive has replaced GoFlex drive

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
This is the only reason I keep my android tablet.

I wish ipads could talk to usb storage via camera kit.

I take my android tablet when do lots photos with my SLR.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

One of the nice things with the FileHub is that it is compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, etc. When transferring a lot of photos from an SD card to an HDD, I usually just use my Android smartphone and just let it sit there as it transfers (SD card to HDD is about 1 GB/minute). I use the FileHub with my Air 2, a Galaxy S7 Edge phone, and a Nexus 7 tablet.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

Seagate Wireless hard drive will work with iOS, Android, Windows (all versions), and OS X and I have both iPad Pro and LG tablet. :)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There definitely are a lot of options out there. Besides the RAVPower, I have a similar Kingston G3 filehub and a 500GB SeaGate wireless drive. The one shortcoming of the G3 is its limitation to 2TB HDDs whereas I can use my 4TB drive with the RAVPower. I've turned the Seagate into a static, hard-wired drive on my desktop as I prefer to use a device that allows different types of storage elements (e.g., HDDs, flash drives, SD & uSD cards) to be used with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.