Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Does anyone have an iPad mini 2 (16GB) with iOS 9 or 10? If so, how is the performance? Does it lag? I'm wondering whether or not I should update iOS. I updated my iPod touch 5th generation and noticed some degraded performance in some apps going from iOS 7 to 8. So I just wanted to see what other's experiences were with the iPad mini 2 and iOS 9/10.

Thanks!

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Does anyone have an iPad mini 2 (16GB) with iOS 9 or 10? If so, how is the performance? Does it lag? I'm wondering whether or not I should update iOS. I updated my iPod touch 5th generation and noticed some degraded performance in some apps going from iOS 7 to 8. So I just wanted to see what other's experiences were with the iPad mini 2 and iOS 9/10.

Thanks!
Restore the iPod to iOS 9.3.5. It will be way better than iOS 8 on the A5 processor. For the mini 2 iOS 10 is a great experience I've heard all rave reviews for A7 devices, just please don't update in settings app, connect to iTunes give it a fresh restore set up as new. Especially since your going from like iOS 8 to iOS 10.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Aside from some of the well known (mostly minor) bugs, and the crappy music player, the rMini/Mini 2 seems to run much better on IOS10 than it did on 9. 10 is a much quicker interface in general. Since I upgrade usually soon after release, I don't even remember how much different 8 was from 9. Good luck!

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
ive just taken delivery today of a mini 2 - as with my iphone 5, turning off the transparency and parallax effects seems to reduce jittery-ness. I noticed the youtube app is a bit jittery when going full screen.

Apart from that and no slide to unlock, its fine. Its replacing my iPad 2 so yep a definite upgrade for me. Also, alot of people complained that the colour saturation is less, ive not noticed any real difference, perhaps its slightly flatter, less vibrant but could also just be the placebo effect of knowing there is supposedly an issue.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have a Mini 2 (or Mini with Retina Display) with iOS 10 installed. No issues so far. It appears to run about as fast as it did with iOS 9. It may lag a bit in comparison, but if it does, it is not enough for me to notice. To be honest, considering that the Mini 2 has been on the market for over 3 years, I am amazed how well it has held up to repeated iOS updates. I am very pleased with it.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Thank you all for your responses. Gives me some confidence to update!

Restore the iPod to iOS 9.3.5. It will be way better than iOS 8 on the A5 processor. For the mini 2 iOS 10 is a great experience I've heard all rave reviews for A7 devices, just please don't update in settings app, connect to iTunes give it a fresh restore set up as new. Especially since your going from like iOS 8 to iOS 10.

Interesting regarding the method to update. I did update to iOS 8 through the Settings app. I'll try to update through iTunes instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.