Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I am the purchaser/owner of an iPad mini 2. Purchased shortly after it was announced by Apple.
It shipped to me with ios 7.0.4 and it is still there. I jail broke it shortly after purchase, and have also been very happy with the jailbreak.

To the point of this thread, I'm at a point with this device where I have (purchased Apple app store) applications that don't run, run poorly and can't be upgraded any more as my ios is so old. I no longer have the Mac I used to jail break the iPad, and I don't remember what application I used to jail break it.

Wondering what are the steps to upgrade from jail broken 7.0.4 to 9.3.x (current)??? Yep, I know I will loose my jail break, I am waiting like everyone else for a 9.3.x jail break to arrive.

TIA

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
If you want to do a complete clean update then a DFU restore will remove everything jailbreak related and set up your iPad new(don't use a backup from when it was jailbroken)

Reactions: Applejuiced

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
If you want to do a complete clean update then a DFU restore will remove everything jailbreak related and set up your iPad new(don't use a backup from when it was jailbroken)

Thanks for the reply.

I would rather not have to set up my iPad up new.

Is it possible to update 7.0.4 to 9.3.x? I understand that I would loose my jail break access.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Thanks for the reply.

I would rather not have to set up my iPad up new.

Is it possible to update 7.0.4 to 9.3.x? I understand that I would loose my jail break access.

It's possible...... by using your backup after restoring. But by using a jailbroken 7.0.4 backup on stock 9.3x would cause you to run into problems. It's just not recommended.

Reactions: Will22

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
[SUMMARY] I drug my feet on this as long as I could, but got to the point that almost none of my apps would upgrade, many important (to me) apps were broken, etc.

In short, I plugged my 7.0.4 iPad mini 2 into my Mac via Lightning cable, opened iTunes, then just let iTunes upgrade to 10.2.x.

Upgraded without any issues or problems.

Now I just need a current jailbrake so I can SSH back into my iPad mini again.

Reactions: RumoredMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.