Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, so I want to get an iPad mini 6. I was thinking about the 64GB model on Amazon, but I think it wouldn’t be able to handle all of my apps that are on my M2 iPad Pro 256GB. I am mainly speaking about Affinity Photo which I have a ton of open images I work with.

But the 256GB mini is out of my reach right now in price. I can maybe get a Apple Refurbished model for $549 + tax, but that is an avenue I have never tried before.

Also, if I do end up going Apple Refurbished, can I still buy monthly AppleCare+?

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Starfia

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Thanks, BigMcGuire.

Would any of you go for the 64GB iPad mini if I wasn’t going to copy over what’s on my Pro?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have both the mini 6 and iPad Pro 12.9 6th generation. I bought both at 256gb and copied everything from my mini to the Pro. I know with the amount of apps and things I do on the iPad, I have to have 256gb and greater. I keep my iPads for 5+ years, so I want to make sure I won’t run out of space.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Thanks, BigMcGuire.

Would any of you go for the 64GB iPad mini if I wasn’t going to copy over what’s on my Pro?
I have a 2TB IPP M1 and a 256 Mini, I don’t know if I’d recommend a 64gb. The huge plus of the mini is portability. If you don’t want to purchase additional iCloud storage carrying a hard drive for the mini effects the portability

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP: I'd ask myself why do I want a mini 6 for Affinity Photo work if I have a M2 iPad Pro now. It appears you have the right tool for that primary job already. So why add another tool to do the same job? That job likely greatly benefits from the:
  • bigger screen, so why cut screen size to try to do the same?
  • M2, so why cut the horsepower to try to do the same?
  • superior cameras, so why step down to inferior cameras?
And you already assume the Mini 6 can't handle some of the apps you use.

I have Mini 6 (only) and LOVE it. I use it every single day. Not only do I do any iPad things on it but it also fully covers my phone and texting needs too (buds with mic for phone calls, VOIP app for telephony and texting). As both iPad and iPhone in one, it is much more economical than owning both kinds of devices and the bigger screen makes all iPhone apps that much better too IMO.

BUT, you don't really share a WHY? (you want the 6). It reads like it's a financial stretch to get it right now. You don't believe it will handle "all of the apps I use." You already have what seems to be the far superior tool for the job you do reference. So I would ask myself why Mini 6 and I would need some good answers to further consider it. Else, I'd spend $0 and keep using the superior tool I already know can handle "all of my apps" with the larger screen and superior horses for doing my Affinity Photo work too.

Reactions: MiniApple

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I've loved the iPad mini 6. Next to my Mac which I'm always on, it was my second "main" device. I've never needed more than 64 gigs on a portable device, but of course you should save for more storage if you know you'll use it.

Buying directly from Apple Refurbished is great whenever possible. Same warranty, same AppleCare eligibility. No device I've bought that way has ever not seemed new.

In this case, at least wait for new product announcements or price shifts on Monday before buying.

Reactions: MiniApple

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How are you using the iPad Mini as a cell phone?

• VOIP app delivers the phone and texting options to those not on Apple Tech and I use the same Messages app like iPhone users for those who are Apple people. iPad will ring just like a phone when I'm called. There's lots of good VOIP apps in the App Store.
  • Buds with Mic for calls just like iPhone users who want to look at their screen while speaking to someone on the phone. Those on the other end can't tell any difference.
  • I chose a cellular iPad because this was a key use intent. Cellular data is relatively dirt cheap. Cell phone bill is averaging $25 PER YEAR. Most of the time, I'm making/receiving calls and/or texts in free wifi zones at home or work. But when I need cellular, I use it just like iPhone users use it.
For my needs, this is ideal and costs nearly nothing. iPads generally last a lot longer before the "long in tooth":"time to buy a new one" effect, so this "upgrade to 6 was from iPad Mini 2 where I did the same thing for many years. My next "phone" will probably be iPad Mini 9 or 10.

Anyone interested but holding doubts about calls, call quality, texting capability, etc can download any of many free VOIP apps on their iPhone or existing iPad. Most will give you a number. Then you can text from that number to your main number and back again and/or call some friends through the VOIP app and have them call you. That test will typically cost $0 so you can see & hear for yourself. If you have an iPad, you can run a very close test to the reality of the experience for me. But you can also test using an iPhone, as it's like using any other app.

Stranger Concept??? Your Mac can be a phone too by the same approach: VOIP app. I was using early Macs as "mobile phone" stand-ins well back into the early 2000s. Skype was one app that allowed calls to/from phones back then. Same thing: nobody could tell that I wasn't using a cell phone for those calls. The big difference is that I had to be in wifi or ethernet wired zones for those calls. iPad with cellular works anywhere an iPhone works.

Telephone and texting functionality is not exactly rocket science apps. In the grand scheme, both are much simpler stuff than many other apps (functionality) in the iOS or Mac stores.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Student of Life

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I have the 64GB model along with a 2TB iCloud Drive plan, which is also used by my iPhone and my MacBook. For me, it's the perfect combination. I can't imagine ever needing more capacity on the iPad itself.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I have the 64GB model along with a 2TB iCloud Drive plan, which is also used by my iPhone and my MacBook. For me, it's the perfect combination. I can't imagine ever needing more capacity on the iPad itself.
I lived off of a 64GB iPad mini with the base 5GB plan, and while it was very restricting, I can't say it wasn't a learning experience. It really teaches you how to cut bytes out that you don't need and make the most out of future device's space.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
mini 6 approaching end of life, is it still worth to get one to replace ageing 3rd gen 12.9" ipp?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

To be honest, I’d buy a 512GB iPad mini if one was available. I have some big games and I like having my favorite manga series always on-device (~150GB worth).

Then again, I’m often somewhere with slow internet.

Mind, I’ve had good experience with Apple certified refurbished iPads. I totally wouldn’t hesitate to go that route to get the model I want at a more affordable price.

That said, sometimes the discount from Amazon and other authorized retailers are better. I’ve seen the iPad mini 6 256gb wifi+cell for $629 brand new on Amazon while it was $679 on Apple refurb.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
  • VOIP app delivers the phone and texting options to those not on Apple Tech and I use the same Messages app like iPhone users for those who are Apple people. iPad will ring just like a phone when I'm called. There's lots of good VOIP apps in the App Store.
  • Buds with Mic for calls just like iPhone users who want to look at their screen while speaking to someone on the phone. Those on the other end can't tell any difference.
  • I chose a cellular iPad because this was a key use intent. Cellular data is relatively dirt cheap. Cell phone bill is averaging $25 PER YEAR. Most of the time, I'm making/receiving calls and/or texts in free wifi zones at home or work. But when I need cellular, I use it just like iPhone users use it.
For my needs, this is ideal and costs nearly nothing. iPads generally last a lot longer before the "long in tooth":"time to buy a new one" effect, so this "upgrade to 6 was from iPad Mini 2 where I did the same thing for many years. My next "phone" will probably be iPad Mini 9 or 10.

Anyone interested but holding doubts about calls, call quality, texting capability, etc can download any of many free VOIP apps on their iPhone or existing iPad. Most will give you a number. Then you can text from that number to your main number and back again and/or call some friends through the VOIP app and have them call you. That test will typically cost $0 so you can see & hear for yourself. If you have an iPad, you can run a very close test to the reality of the experience for me. But you can also test using an iPhone, as it's like using any other app.

Stranger Concept??? Your Mac can be a phone too by the same approach: VOIP app. I was using early Macs as "mobile phone" stand-ins well back into the early 2000s. Skype was one app that allowed calls to/from phones back then. Same thing: nobody could tell that I wasn't using a cell phone for those calls. The big difference is that I had to be in wifi or ethernet wired zones for those calls. iPad with cellular works anywhere an iPhone works.

Telephone and texting functionality is not exactly rocket science apps. In the grand scheme, both are much simpler stuff than many other apps (functionality) in the iOS or Mac stores.
How is cell service only $25 a year for a cellular-equipped iPad? Last time I had an iPad with cellular it was a lot more.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How is cell service only $25 a year for a cellular-equipped iPad? Last time I had an iPad with cellular it was a lot more.
T-Mobile full 5G just about everywhere I go. Great!

$10 for 5GB or 5 months. Since I’m in wifi zones most of the time, I never get too close to that. But if I did and ran out, I would just spend another $10 for another 5GB or 5 months more, whichever comes first. That's never happened- even with extensive travel (which again, finds me in free wifi zones much of the time), but it's easy to buy more data should I need it right on the device.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
To be honest, I’d buy a 512GB iPad mini if one was available. I have some big games and I like having my favorite manga series always on-device (~150GB worth).

Then again, I’m often somewhere with slow internet.

Mind, I’ve had good experience with Apple certified refurbished iPads. I totally wouldn’t hesitate to go that route to get the model I want at a more affordable price.

That said, sometimes the discount from Amazon and other authorized retailers are better. I’ve seen the iPad mini 6 256gb wifi+cell for $629 brand new on Amazon while it was $679 on Apple refurb.
I agree with Amazon potentially having a cheaper price. I paid $1149 for my 256gb 12.9 iPad Pro brand new vs Apple’s $1199 price and for my 256gb mini I paid $539.99 vs Apple’s $649.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

wingennis

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Northern Arizona
64GB would never be enough for me. My book libraries alone exceed that. People often suggest that there is no need for more storage because of cloud access but some of us still live in rural areas where Wi-Fi isn't always available or high-speed when it is. Not sure what applies to you. I do highly recommend Apple Refurbished-especially if you can use an education or Veteran discount.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Many folks can make 64gb work. The emphasis is the "make it work" part. If you get the 256gb it just works with no thought, planning, or moving stuff around.

The real question is if you already have a iPad Pro and the 256gb mini as a second device is a stretch in funds, is the mini really needed?

For me I am getting by with the 64gb mini, I regret I didn't get the 256 (really wish for a 128gb option). My main device is a MBA so 64gb mini doesn't hurt as bad.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, so I want to get an iPad mini 6. I was thinking about the 64GB model on Amazon, but I think it wouldn’t be able to handle all of my apps that are on my M2 iPad Pro 256GB. I am mainly speaking about Affinity Photo which I have a ton of open images I work with.

But the 256GB mini is out of my reach right now in price. I can maybe get a Apple Refurbished model for $549 + tax, but that is an avenue I have never tried before.

Also, if I do end up going Apple Refurbished, can I still buy monthly AppleCare+?

Thank you for your help!

AppleCare+ polices on Apple Certified Refurbished products is identical across the board to AppleCare+ policies on brand new Apple products.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
One thing to watch out for with the mini 6 is the RAM. It has 4 GB RAM whereas your M2 iPad Pro has double plus swap memory.

Affinity Photo and other image editing apps can bog down the mini 6 quite quickly, speaking from experience. I still love the mini 6 but I use it for simpler tasks than my iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.