Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
All, we are getting our kids an ipad mini 4 for Christmas and wanted to ask for recommendations for a case for it. I would like drop protection and something when not in use that covers the screen. Thanks in advance.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I got this model and have found that the new Apple silicon case combined with the smart cover is ideal. It covers everything very well and the silicon should provide a little bit of drop protection.

For my Mini 3 I first had a third-party case which was plastic instead of silicon and it broke when my son dropped it. So I think this is a big improve ent. That one now sits in a Lifeproof case but I will cut out the screen cover as it makes rainbow patterns on the display. I will use a separate screen protector instead and would recommend one for kids with the Smart Cover for added protection and easy cleaning.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I've had an iPad 2 in one of these (black, not green!) for 2 years and it's taken all the bumps and thumps a 1-3 year old can throw at it

$_35.JPG

It a Kensington SafeGrip, and I'm sure they do something similar for the mini range.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I've had lifeproofs on my kids (4&6) iPad mini's for a couple years now. They don't drop them that often so have recently changed to the Logitech Blok ... They give it a good amount of drop protection and much easier to clean than taking apart a lifeproof ...

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I have had the Griffin Survivor case on my kids iPad mini (1st gen) since i bought the iPad new. It's been dropped and spilled on and still looks perfect when I take it out of the case. It looks like they do make a mini 4 version of it, i highly recommend it.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Just a thought, but you should at least check out the Kindle Fire Kids' Edition. We have 4 kids. Our Tweens are on iPad Mini 2s. But our younger kids are on Kindle Fires. And frankly, aside form FaceTime, the Kindle Fires would work for the Tweens too. The kids' Edition is their $50 tablet, but with the following add-ons:
- FreeTime Service (Free all you can eat kids' books, educational games, videos, etc.) really, there is nothing else we need to buy. It also has parental controls (eg. 1 hour of games, 3 hours books, no use after bedtime, etc.). Plus, the UO is phenomenal for kids! 10,000+ kid-friendly titles, included.
- Comes with a Kid-proof case that's bullet proof. And these things are tough. Our kids spill milk on them almost daily, and drops are as or more frequent.
- 2 year No questions accidental damage warranty
- SD slot that works flawlessly, good-enough performance for kids, solid battery life, etc.

All this, for $100. Really, it's worth that just for the excellent kids' content. And all their video streams don't count against Hulu or Netflix streams. Plus, you can download movies form Amazon, for offline viewing, if the kids are in an airplane or car without wifi.

71D2N8MGhHL._SL1000_.jpg

feature-freetime-content._V310921074_.jpg

Not a bad deal, for the money. This free content is outstanding. Our two year old loves the Math games, is learning to spell, and has access to all the Dora the explorer and Super-reader episodes her parents will let her watch. Really, for younger kids, I feel this kicks the iPad's butt. And the price is great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YYZEQ1G/ref=fs_ods_fs_tab_fk

Last edited:

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I have the apple silicon case and cover on my iPad mini 4. While I love it for myself I don't think it provides enough drop protection for children, or fumbly adults. Also, the cover is held on by strong magnets but sometimes I lift up the cover and it separates from the body, so if the iPad wasn't on a table or my lap it would fall,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.