Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
considering the mini-5. I know when the pencil was first released a couple of years ago it took quite a while to start seeing iPad Pro cases that had a pencil holder that was actually useful and anything more than a gimmick.
So this might be premature but wanted to see if anything's out there for the 4 that already seems like it could work. there was an adonis jot case that I used to have for my (now gone) iPad mini 2, anything like that out there for the 4?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
considering the mini-5. I know when the pencil was first released a couple of years ago it took quite a while to start seeing iPad Pro cases that had a pencil holder that was actually useful and anything more than a gimmick.
So this might be premature but wanted to see if anything's out there for the 4 that already seems like it could work. there was an adonis jot case that I used to have for my (now gone) iPad mini 2, anything like that out there for the 4?
Not that I've run across... and I've looked. I have a few cases for my 2018 iPad that have a spot to hold the Pencil. They work well but I really don't like the added weight and bulk of the case.

Before my 2018 iPad, I had a 12.9 iPad Pro and used the Moxiware Pencil magnet to attach the Pencil to the smart cover. The magnet was very strong and secured the Pencil. (I used a sleeve to transport the Pro).

for my 2018 iPad, I've gone back to using the Moxiware magnet with the smartcover. Since I plan on re-using the smartcover for my Mini 4 with the 5, I'll stick with the magnet.

dakotacheryl

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
I am also hopeful that someone comes to market with a mini case/back with pencil holder. I currently have a Poetic iPad Pro 9.7 back that has a pencil holder that I love. I emailed them about plans to offer one for the new Mini 5 and they replied in the negative.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
I got a Soke case from Amazon from Amazon and I'd say it's "ok". It has a loop for the pencil on the side, but with how it's attached the iPad rests on the pencil when it's just sitting back-down. I'm hoping for a folio case where it has a spot for the pencil in the spine where the folio wraps around. Essentially, I want an update to the Moleskine case that's on Apple's site so the mic cutouts are correct.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Here’s a case from Otterbox that’s not on the market yet.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/apple-ipad-mini--5th-gen-/symmetry-series/77-62210.html#start=1

It does have a pencil loop but doesn’t have a front cover. I had the symmetry version for the iPad Pro 9.7 which had a similar pencil loop. In that incarnation you could remove the cover and the ‘hinge’ and use the smart connector for a keyboard. I have the latest symmetry version on my 2018 12.9 Pro and that’s a folio case. There’s a gap along the top to allow for the magnetic connection between the iPad and pencil.

I’m going to keep looking.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
i got a soke case too and i like it a lot. i thought itd be my one case but the elastic loop for a pencil holder just isnt cutting it. it flops around a bit and is awkward to hold like a magazine in my right hand because the pencils there.

i want the “pouch”-type holder integrated into the case so it doesnt move and protects the pencil

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I ordered these 2 cases - they seem well made but haven't tried them until my Mini 5 arrives tomorrow (4/3/19).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ7C3JH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot 2019-04-03 00.56.40.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKVTYBN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screenshot 2019-04-03 00.57.46.png

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Valkit has their case with a removable cover available for the Mini now - but it doesn’t have a pencil elastic like the one I use for my 12.9. I love this case - I just upgraded to the purple one!

I still might get it and then stick s loop on it.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
How do you like the first one? Could you share some photos? I was looking at that one because the pencil holder is pretty much what im looking for but the placement seemed strange, i was expecting it on the other side but couldn't figure it out.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
How do you like the first one? Could you share some photos? I was looking at that one because the pencil holder is pretty much what im looking for but the placement seemed strange, i was expecting it on the other side but couldn't figure it out.

I have only used the first one so far, as it seems perfect. It's made out of a material similar to my Apple silicone case for Mini 4, and the integrated cover also feels good quality like the Apple smart cover.

It look just like the pics on Amazon, where the case is slightly wider than the iPad mini 5, giving room for a pencil holder beside the iPad and near the hinge of the cover. By having the pencil closer to the hinge, when the case is closed it's much less likely to have the pencil fall out if you drop it.

And, this way the magnet in the cover can make contact with the right edge of the iPad and hold the case closed better. If the pencil was on the other side of the iPad that has the opening of the magnetic cover, then the magnet in the cover could not be at the edge to best hold the case closed, but rather it would be farther inboard.

Screenshot 2019-04-07 12.31.05.png

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8760.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have only used the first one so far, as it seems perfect. It's made out of a material similar to my Apple silicone case for Mini 4, and the integrated cover also feels good quality like the Apple smart cover.

It look just like the pics on Amazon, where the case is slightly wider than the iPad mini 5, giving room for a pencil holder beside the iPad and near the hinge of the cover. By having the pencil closer to the hinge, when the case is closed it's much less likely to have the pencil fall out if you drop it.

And, this way the magnet in the cover can make contact with the right edge of the iPad and hold the case closed better. If the pencil was on the other side of the iPad that has the opening of the magnetic cover, then the magnet in the cover could not be at the edge to best hold the case closed, but rather it would be farther inboard.
I have the same case for my 2018 iPad. One thing that prevents me from using it has to do with how much/or little the back edges of the case cover the front of the iPad in securing the iPad in the case. It's an awkward amount that pushes up against the matte screen protector causing it to lift up from the screen in spots. If there was less of an edge, it wouldn't make contact with the protector... if there was more of an edge then it would extend over the protector.

Do you have a screen protector on your Mini and if so, does this case interfere with it?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I have the same case for my 2018 iPad. One thing that prevents me from using it has to do with how much/or little the back edges of the case cover the front of the iPad in securing the iPad in the case. It's an awkward amount that pushes up against the matte screen protector causing it to lift up from the screen in spots. If there was less of an edge, it wouldn't make contact with the protector... if there was more of an edge then it would extend over the protector.

Do you have a screen protector on your Mini and if so, does this case interfere with it?

I don't have a protector yet, plan to get one on the 20th when I head up to denver and can visit the Zagg store.

This case has a moderate size lip that should not interfere with a Zagg protector, based on previous experience with that kind of thing. The case cover extends ever so slightly past the edges of the case, so you can lift the lid open easily from the top, side, or bottom. It should extend over (or past the edges of) the protector. And the case itself grips the iPad but doesn't overlap the screen too much, so it shouldn't touch the protector.

Reactions: sracer

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
Valkit has their case with a removable cover available for the Mini now - but it doesn’t have a pencil elastic like the one I use for my 12.9. I love this case - I just upgraded to the purple one!

I still might get it and then stick s loop on it.
Hi do u have link for the this iPad mini 5 case?

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I finally treated myself to a mini 5 since I’ll be spending more time away from home and my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 is just too heavy for me to carry around. I already owned a 1st gen Apple Pencil with a pencil cozy to keep the cap in place so I needed a pencil holder that would accommodate the extra width. I went with the Veco case pictured above. The outside of the case is a synthetic imitation fabric which has traction so it doesn’t slide around much and feels velvety. All the cut outs are in the right places but I haven’t tested the headphone jack yet.

Attachments

• 04449BBB-FF1C-4BC7-8C6F-98863939BEE3.jpeg
    04449BBB-FF1C-4BC7-8C6F-98863939BEE3.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 247
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.