Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
An iPad I gave to my nephew is asking for a passcode after it updated and restarted. The thing is we didn’t have a passcode on it. Tried iCloud password and that didn’t work. Unfortunately he has apps that are no longer available on the App Store so… he will lose those if I have to wipe it.

Any ideas why this happened? Maybe he did setup a passcode ? I’m not sure.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I’m pretty sure you can still download any apps that you’ve purchased even if they are no longer available. If you go the the App Store and look at the purchased tab, all of your apps should be there, ready to download. The one exception might be if they are older 32 but apps (which I think are no longer supported.)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m pretty sure you can still download any apps that you’ve purchased even if they are no longer available. If you go the the App Store and look at the purchased tab, all of your apps should be there, ready to download. The one exception might be if they are older 32 but apps (which I think are no longer supported.)

Depends if the developer has deleted the app from the App Store. I have a few of those. Just shows up with the cloud logo on restored iPads. Cannot be re-downloaded.

Reactions: mk313

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
It sounds like you are referring to the passcode for the iPad itself, not your iCloud password or something else. And its normal for a device to require the passcode following a software update and restart, assuming that it had a passcode in the first place. I suggest you follow the steps outlined in this article:

Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.