Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fresh_green

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
I'm considering buying an iPad for my mother. Her sight is getting worse with age. Apple devices seem to have better accessibility features than Android, and larger screen surely would help too.

But I'm not sure whether iPad Mini will offer the best experience for her. Right now she's using 5.5" Android phone for web surfing & Youtube. She mostly uses it while laying on the sofa, holding the phone in the air with two hands. Sometimes she puts it on the phone stand, when she reads some articles in the kitchen.
Perhaps Air's larger display would reduce eyestrain and make text easier to read?

Would be great if somebody had similar use cases, and could help with these questions:
  1. How does the larger text accessibility option look on Mini? Do UI elements look too big with it enabled on 7.9 display?
  2. From what I've heard, Mini is great to use when laying down. Do you think Air could be used in the same manner (holding it on the stomach or in the air with two hands)? Or is Air too heavy and bulky for that?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The mini is a great little device. I don’t have one around right now though to show you full text zoom.

Maybe get a good case with some stand capabilities to make it easier for your mom and provide more positioning options.

Apple offers two weeks return just in case it doesn’t work out, send it back and get the other one.

Best success!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Perhaps Air's larger display would reduce eyestrain and make text easier to read?

Would be great if somebody had similar use cases, and could help with these questions:
  1. How does the larger text accessibility option look on Mini? Do UI elements look too big with it enabled on 7.9 display?
  2. From what I've heard, Mini is great to use when laying down. Do you think Air could be used in the same manner (holding it on the stomach or in the air with two hands)? Or is Air too heavy and bulky for that?
1. Zooming looks weird to me so I rarely use my mini.

2. I use the Air all the time like this. I've got my iPad in a case with a cover that folds into a stand (landscape). Holding it in the air with two hands would be very tiring.

For what it's worth, my mom and dad (mid 60s) prefer 10-11" while my aunt (late 50s) prefers the 12.9". They pretty much all need reading glasses.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I'm considering buying an iPad for my mother. Her sight is getting worse with age. Apple devices seem to have better accessibility features than Android, and larger screen surely would help too.

But I'm not sure whether iPad Mini will offer the best experience for her. Right now she's using 5.5" Android phone for web surfing & Youtube. She mostly uses it while laying on the sofa, holding the phone in the air with two hands. Sometimes she puts it on the phone stand, when she reads some articles in the kitchen.

Id go for the iPad Air 3. Your mother will appreciate the bigger text.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I don't own iPad mini and my eyes issues are different than your mother's. I have high astigmatism and close to high myopia. This means that I cannot read without glasses. I usually turn on contrast on my devices and enlarge text and UI elements so that I don't have issues with prolonged use. I do not use my phones for reading/browsing for more than 5 minutes as I will get headache.

iPad mini looks cool considering how portable is but I personally am worried that the screen would be rather too small. For me personally the screen has to be at least around 10 inch (9.7 inch, 10.2, 10.5) so that I can feel comfortable using it.

Reactions: Retops

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009

Once you mention age related vision, you should just drop the idea of buying a Mini entirely. Honestly. Save your time.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
With vision limitations larger screens work better, but they are a bit difficult to handle. For me, a 11 inch is the minimum to consider with a 12.9 optimum if the size is Manageable.

Reactions: secretk

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have an iPad Mini 5 and recently bought (but returned) an iPad Air 3. I wanted to compare text sizes, so maybe this will help. For reading most web pages comfortably on the iPad Air, I used the 125% zoom. To get the same text size on the Mini, I had to use 150%. To use 150% on this smaller Mini hogs a lot of the screen and felt clunky. For that reason I would recommend the Air, and I would recommend the Apple refurb 64GB currently selling for $419. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Hope she loves it whatever you choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.