Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wow. Just wow. That was a lot you went through.
Imagine a lay person having this issue. Apple would probably tell them just to buy a new one. And this issue is not new. Online, plenty of people with older iOS versions also having this issue. If it's not being fixed for so long, it sounded more and more to be intentional to trick people into upgrading.

• Wow
Reactions: happy orchard

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Imagine a lay person having this issue. Apple would probably tell them just to buy a new one. And this issue is not new. Online, plenty of people with older iOS versions also having this issue. If it's not being fixed for so long, it sounded more and more to be intentional to trick people into upgrading.
Okay now I'm thinking more about my iPad Mini 5...I have a 256 gb with only like 42 gb used, but iPadOS is 8.67 and System Data is 16.67. Am I on the way to the issue you were having? Think this is good...normal...problematic? I ask since I realize you reeeeeally get this now. :)

Lightsaber

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
From all that you have said it has the look of a runaway system log filling up rapidly with error messages

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Okay now I'm thinking more about my iPad Mini 5...I have a 256 gb with only like 42 gb used, but iPadOS is 8.67 and System Data is 16.67. Am I on the way to the issue you were having? Think this is good...normal...problematic? I ask since I realize you reeeeeally get this now. :)
If you still have plenty of free storage, I wouldn’t worry about it. It doesn’t seem to affect performance at all. The problem here in my friend’s iPad, is that she has the 64GB model, and it filled up the space until it couldn’t even finish its own backup.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
From all that you have said it has the look of a runaway system log filling up rapidly with error messages
Logs that take 32GB of space?
Regardless, it seems to be a long-standing issue as many reports of similar issue from people with variety of iOS versions.

speaking of that, yup, the problem is back. System data is now back at 35GB. We managed to uninstall stuff that it has at least about 7GB of free space.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
A family member’s iPhone 11 had the same thing happen to it. It ballooned into taking all available storage. I knew, from extensive reading, that the only solution is to wipe it. Like you said, it can reoccur, so it is not a permanent solution, and frankly, I don’t think there is one now. The iPhone 11 cleared the storage back to what it was on its own. But yes, it isn’t a solvable issue otherwise, and complaints have abounded for years now.

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
A family member’s iPhone 11 had the same thing happen to it. It ballooned into taking all available storage. I knew, from extensive reading, that the only solution is to wipe it. Like you said, it can reoccur, so it is not a permanent solution, and frankly, I don’t think there is one now. The iPhone 11 cleared the storage back to what it was on its own. But yes, it isn’t a solvable issue otherwise, and complaints have abounded for years now.
Yup, and it happened again.
The only thing we could do is to try keep the free space large enough to at least critical things like backups can happen.

Rebooting sometimes frees up the space, but through time it will come back.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The only thing we could do is to try keep the free space large enough to at least critical things like backups can happen.

Yeah, all you can do is hope it won’t come back, unfortunately.

Langar

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018

It may be an iCloud Photos issue. You can try to turn it off. iCloud>Photos>Manage storage>Turn off and delete from iCloud. Then tag it on again. You'll need too type in the Apple-id and it will of course take some time to upload the locally stored photos and videos to ICloud again.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It may be an iCloud Photos issue. You can try to turn it off. iCloud>Photos>Manage storage>Turn off and delete from iCloud. Then tag it on again. You'll need too type in the Apple-id and it will of course take some time to upload the locally stored photos and videos to ICloud again.
We did try that prior to resetting the iPad. It didn't do anything other than disconnecting iCloud Photo sync.

I believe it's the OS. There are some underlying bugs that are not taken care of, as we also had issues with DFU mode.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Maybe it‘s a runaway app. Does this also happen before you install any third party apps? Is background app refresh on?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Maybe it‘s a runaway app. Does this also happen before you install any third party apps? Is background app refresh on?
The iPad is not mine, and it would be difficult for the owner to start from scratch. All we did was reset the iPad through DFU mode and restore from last local backup, so we haven’t trying installing one app at a time. Background app refresh is on. Hard to tell at this point. Considering a lot of similar reports, seems like it’s a fundamental iOS/iPadOS issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.