Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I've got an iPad mini 4 that's been upgraded to the latest iPadOS version (14.6 as of today). For the past several months, I've noticed a definite lag in terms of performance all around the board, especially with apps like Evernote but also with Safari, Ulysses, Maps, Apple Music and so on. Apps seem to take longer to launch, and are not as responsive as before. Evernote in particular does not do well with the iPad mini 4 on iPadOS 12.6—most operations take several seconds or more to complete.

Of course, this could be simply my subjective perception in comparison with other devices I own... but I'm wondering if anyone here has upgraded from the mini 4 to the mini 5 and experienced noticeably better performance and responsiveness? Did the upgrade seem to be worth it?

The Geekbench scores for the mini 5 vs. the mini 4 are like night and day (1112 vs. 355 for single-core—I got a 365 single-core score on my mini 4), but does this translate into much snappier performance from a real-world point of view?

Thoughts are encouraged!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I've got an iPad mini 4 that's been upgraded to the latest iPadOS version (14.6 as of today). For the past several months, I've noticed a definite lag in terms of performance all around the board, especially with apps like Evernote but also with Safari, Ulysses, Maps, Apple Music and so on. Apps seem to take longer to launch, and are not as responsive as before. Evernote in particular does not do well with the iPad mini 4 on iPadOS 12.6—most operations take several seconds or more to complete.

Of course, this could be simply my subjective perception in comparison with other devices I own... but I'm wondering if anyone here has upgraded from the mini 4 to the mini 5 and experienced noticeably better performance and responsiveness? Did the upgrade seem to be worth it?

The Geekbench scores for the mini 5 vs. the mini 4 are like night and day (1112 vs. 355 for single-core—I got a 365 single-core score on my mini 4), but does this translate into much snappier performance from a real-world point of view?

Thoughts are encouraged!
Single core performance is the most obvious metrics to the users. So this jump in performance is definitely noticeable between the mini 4 and 5. The A8 chip is from the iPhone 6!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My mini 4 (A8/2GB) is still running iOS 10 and I don't have a mini 5 (A12/3GB). However, I do have an Air 2 (A8X/2GB) and Air 3 (A12/3GB).

The difference is very noticeable. The Air 3 is much more responsive than the Air 2. I also have the latest iPad Pro and while that's a tad snappier, the Air 3's performance isn't too far behind.

With that said, there have been rumors of a new mini getting released. I dunno if you'd be willing to wait for that.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Single core performance is the most obvious metrics to the users. So this jump in performance is definitely noticeable between the mini 4 and 5. The A8 chip is from the iPhone 6!
Wow, I didn't realize the A8 chip was from the iPhone 6... I guess that explains some things!

Reactions: ericwn

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
My mini 4 (A8/2GB) is still running iOS 10 and I don't have a mini 5 (A12/3GB). However, I do have an Air 2 (A8X/2GB) and Air 3 (A12/3GB).

The difference is very noticeable. The Air 3 is much more responsive than the Air 2. I also have the latest iPad Pro and while that's a tad snappier, the Air 3's performance isn't too far behind.

With that said, there have been rumors of a new mini getting released. I dunno if you'd be willing to wait for that.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've seen big improvements in performance with the iPad Airs as well over the years.

Do you feel your mini 4 is still pretty usable on iOS 10? I suppose it's not possible to downgrade anymore...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I've seen big improvements in performance with the iPad Airs as well over the years.

Do you feel your mini 4 is still pretty usable on iOS 10? I suppose it's not possible to downgrade anymore...

Problem is app support. For example, no Disney+ or HBO Max.

I only use the mini 4 for 32-bit apps. Since those tend to be pre-iOS 7 and expected to run on iPad 2s and 3s, the A8 is already faster than they were designed for.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Problem is app support. For example, no Disney+ or HBO Max.

I only use the mini 4 for 32-bit apps. Since those tend to be pre-iOS 7 and expected to run on iPad 2s and 3s, the A8 is already faster than they were designed for.
Ah, I wasn't aware that there ever used to be 32-bit apps on iOS. I always assumed they were... well, just "iOS" apps, unlike those on macOS. I knew about the transition to 64-bit architecture for OS X back in the day (I guess it started from around Leopard, and finally finished with Catalina?), but didn't think that also applied to devices running iOS.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I have both. The Mini 5 is noticeably faster than the Mini 4. The 4 always had lag. My Mini 5 has the lastest iPadOS and runs very well and works fine with any app I throw at it - no lag! I use it with the Pencil 1 for sketching and notes.

Having said that, if Apple did bring out a Mini Pro with Pencil 2 support and an M1 I would buy it.

Reactions: arefbe and jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I have both. The Mini 5 is noticeably faster than the Mini 4. The 4 always had lag. My Mini 5 has the lastest iPadOS and runs very well and works fine with any app I throw at it - no lag! I use it with the Pencil 1 for sketching and notes.

Having said that, if Apple did bring out a Mini Pro with Pencil 2 support and an M1 I would buy it.
Ah, that's right—they introduced Apple Pencil support beginning with 5th gen., but only Apple Pencil 1—the Pencil 2 is still unsupported, apparently.

I'm sure they'll support the Pencil 2 (or even the Pencil 3, if it comes out this year) with the next iteration of the mini.

The M1 chip doesn't seem as likely to go on the next-gen mini, I don't think, but Apple might surprise us.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
For what I use it for, I don't have problems with my Mini 4. But of course Mini 5, being 4 generations newer inside, will feel significantly faster.

However at this point I wouldn't buy a Mini 5 at full retail price. It's been over 2 years since its release, so you should be able to find one used or refurbished with a good discount. Otherwise I'd wait for the redesigned Mini 6 - personally very much looking forward to that one.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
However at this point I wouldn't buy a Mini 5 at full retail price. It's been over 2 years since its release, so you should be able to find one used or refurbished with a good discount. Otherwise I'd wait for the redesigned Mini 6 - personally very much looking forward to that one.
Good advice on not purchasing the mini 5 at full retail at this juncture.

Surprisingly, even the minis do not depreciate much in terms of selling price even when used. Still a very popular product...

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
As it’s already been said, the mini 5 is a huge step up from the mini 4. The A12 is a great chip, my kids have the Air 3’s that they use everyday for all their entertainment needs.

Reactions: jacenskylo

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Ah, I wasn't aware that there ever used to be 32-bit apps on iOS. I always assumed they were... well, just "iOS" apps, unlike those on macOS. I knew about the transition to 64-bit architecture for OS X back in the day (I guess it started from around Leopard, and finally finished with Catalina?), but didn't think that also applied to devices running iOS.
iPhone 5s was the first 64-bit iPhone as I remember.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Ah, that's right—they introduced Apple Pencil support beginning with 5th gen., but only Apple Pencil 1—the Pencil 2 is still unsupported, apparently.

I'm sure they'll support the Pencil 2 (or even the Pencil 3, if it comes out this year) with the next iteration of the mini.

The M1 chip doesn't seem as likely to go on the next-gen mini, I don't think, but Apple might surprise us.
Unless they change the design to the flat edge design of the iPad Pro’s and make it as thick, otherwise how is the side going to attach the pencil 2 on it without being weird?

Reactions: jchap

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Good advice on not purchasing the mini 5 at full retail at this juncture.

Surprisingly, even the minis do not depreciate much in terms of selling price even when used. Still a very popular product...
It is generally good advice to not pay full MSRP for ANY iPad. However, you will be waiting a long time for a discount of any kind on the Mini 5. If one does appear, it won't be greater than $50 off. The question to ask yourself is, "is it worth waiting months in the hope of saving $50?"

I moved up from the Mini 4 to the Mini 5. As others have said, the performance difference is dramatic. As for the Apple Pencil 1 vs 2, the Pencil 1 is still an outstanding active stylus and works great on the Mini 5 (at a much lower cost than a Pencil 2).

There are alternative active styli that work with these new generation iPads (similar technology used as in the Logi Crayon). They are far less expensive than the Pencil 1 and don't need pairing. These alternatives don't support tilt or pressure sensitivity so they'll be just fine for handwritten notes and diagrams. (artistic uses will depend upon the app that is used)

I know most people were all torqued up expecting a Mini 6 to be announced this past March... I cautioned them not to expect that.... and it didn't happen. Then there was talk of it being announced in June at WWDC... didn't happen. Now the drums are beating again for a release in Sept. When that doesn't happen, it'll be replaced with calls for an Oct. Rinse and repeat for November.

I still think that the next possibility of a Mini 6 being released will be Sept 2022, with a longshot chance of March 2022. I expect the Mini 6 to retain the current Mini chassis with only a processor upgrade. I have no inside information, just reading the Apple tree leaves, looking back at history, and understanding the target audience of the Mini.

If you use your Mini as heavily as I use mine (it's a digital notebook/planner/journal, ereader, netbook when using the Zagg keyboard case) then I'd recommend getting a Mini 5 now and not waiting.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have the mini 2 (IOS 10), 4 and 5 (both IOS 14). The mini 4 became slower to the point it became close to mini 2 on IOS 10...
Mini 5 is night and day... it has roughly the same speed (same single core) as the past gen iPad pro (the ones before the M1), since it's the same family of chips.
I highly recommend waiting till September, previous rumours were from not reputable sources. Now that Gurman has stepped in, it's pretty much a given (at the latest it will be October). It will be a mini with air 4 style (USB C and pencil 2). However I expect a $100 price hike for all configurations... So keep that in mind too...

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
If you use your Mini as heavily as I use mine (it's a digital notebook/planner/journal, ereader, netbook when using the Zagg keyboard case) then I'd recommend getting a Mini 5 now and not waiting.

Nice advice on the "pros" side. ;-) So, I guess you don't take much stock in Prosser's recent claims that the next mini will be considerably more retrofitted (and without a Home button?), then.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
I highly recommend waiting till September, previous rumours were from not reputable sources. Now that Gurman has stepped in, it's pretty much a given (at the latest it will be October). It will be a mini with air 4 style (USB C and pencil 2). However I expect a $100 price hike for all configurations... So keep that in mind too...
Why do you expect a price hike for the mini? It would seem to appeal to a lot of students and kids as well, not to mention its e-reader aspect, so it seems to me that they wouldn't do much with the price so that they can continue to appeal to that market.

As it stands, the mini is already pushing the limits for its product type in terms of price. Any further price hikes would bring it into a competitive price range with the iPad Air, which wouldn't make much sense for Apple.

Perhaps you believe that the purported larger display size would account for the extra price? Still, if they do away with Touch ID/the Home button, that would actually reduce the number of components, you would think... ?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why do you expect a price hike for the mini? It would seem to appeal to a lot of students and kids as well, not to mention its e-reader aspect, so it seems to me that they wouldn't do much with the price so that they can continue to appeal to that market.

As it stands, the mini is already pushing the limits for its product type in terms of price. Any further price hikes would bring it into a competitive price range with the iPad Air, which wouldn't make much sense for Apple.

Perhaps you believe that the purported larger display size would account for the extra price? Still, if they do away with Touch ID/the Home button, that would actually reduce the number of components, you would think... ?
This makes total sense for Apple. They showed it with the iPad Air. Students can always get the $329 iPad... And the mini does not target kids primarily....
Redesigning it with small bezels, pencil 2 and Touch ID like the air would be the perfect opportunity to raise the price and believe me, people are going to happily pay for the new design. A few will complain but buy it anyway. I have zero doubts about it.
Bill of materials does not matter much for final pricing, if they can make a higher margin than with the current mini, they'll happily take it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.