Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
So I got this LTE 256 mini 5 just days ago. It was a bummer in that my home WiFi (FIOS with original equipment not yet one year old) connection drops, sometimes it reconnects, sometimes it request Password but rejects. I have 9 other Macs, iPads, iPhones, on the network with no issues. The mini 5 is the most recent generation of hardware.

Went to Apple Store today. Hardware tests were fine. We reset the iPad as new via iTunes. It worked fine in the Apple Store for probably 30 minutes (problem occurs in just minutes at home).

So I go home and have the same issue.

I am at my gym now of their WiFi and have not had a single issue.

Anyone else have problems like this and found a solution?

Thanks a million for your time and input.

Last edited:

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
For $129, go to best buy and get a netgear ac1750 (r6400) nighthawk router. Set it up in access point mode and see if that takes care of the problem. I've found that the routers provided by the cable companies are many times subpar. This is what I use and it is rock solid

Reactions: MikeSmoke

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
It is certainly looking like a router related problem. I read a few articles on some settings to tweak on the router. Will learn more as I go. Interesting though is that two 2017 iPads, two mini 2’s, 6s, several 2009-2011 Macbook Pro’s are having no problem. All iOS devices on 12.2 so no variables there. Maybe a combination with the router and mini 5 WiFi hardware. I am still not ruling out the mini 5 has a problem. Apple Store has ordered in a replacement which is available at my discretion in just a few days.

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
So I’m still troubleshooting.

There has not been a single glitch on any WiFi network outside of my home network.

I’m in a three floor townhouse. The router is in the basement. My office is on the top floor opposite end. My other devices have no problem with this range. So I took the new iPad mini 5 down on the lower floors and have not had a single glitch. Back to the office and it happens.

So now it looks like maybe a different design in the mini 5 antennas/WiFi chip, whatever else might be unknown to this layperson but it looks like something may be different.
[doublepost=1557120972][/doublepost]I am having no problems tethering the mini 5 to my iPhone 6s. I have cellular and Bluetooth turned off on the mini 5 and Bluetooth turned off on the 6s. I am assuming that the tethering is happening 100% over WiFi on the mini 5 with all the other wireless options turned off.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Like I mentioned in another thread, I've had the same issue (only once) with my mini 5. But in my case I'm pretty sure it's a router, resp. extender issue. We live in a two-storey townhouse, where the router/modem/NAS is on the ground floor and we have a Netgear extender (Nighthawk series) on the 1st floor. All my iOS devices have had occasionally the error "No internet connection" but only on the extender. The mini had additionally the "wrong password" error.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a similar intermittent problem with my iPad Mini 2 and I think that I only see it at home. It is possible that it's a router issue as our WiFi Routers are 2010/2011 era. None of our other devices have this issue though. So it's possible that it's a combination of the Mini 2 and our routers.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
So I got this LTE 256 mini 5 just days ago. It was a bummer in that my home WiFi (FIOS with original equipment not yet one year old) connection drops, sometimes it reconnects, sometimes it request Password but rejects. I have 9 other Macs, iPads, iPhones, on the network with no issues. The mini 5 is the most recent generation of hardware.

Went to Apple Store today. Hardware tests were fine. We reset the iPad as new via iTunes. It worked fine in the Apple Store for probably 30 minutes (problem occurs in just minutes at home).

So I go home and have the same issue.

I am at my gym now of their WiFi and have not had a single issue.

Anyone else have problems like this and found a solution?

Thanks a million for your time and input.
Definitely a router issue.

ziyuel

Suspended
May 14, 2019
nah on mine, find a better router!

The only real complaint I have so far is the thing's sometimes unintuitive reliance on gestures and precise swipes. I shouldn't have to give the screen a massage every time I want to do a simple thing like view and close apps I'm not using. But overall, it has absolutely met my expectations. Hopefully Apple continues to develop the Mini line, because I can see it permanently becoming my go-to tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.