Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Have an iPad Mini 6 that is used very lightly - I noticed yesterday that it was dead so plugged in to charge as usual, came back to it today, its dead as a doornail. Tried force restarting using the volume button sequence + holding power button, etc. with zero success.

Device has not pinged on Find My since Sept. 12th so I know its not a screen brightness issue, etc. Any ideas here? I tried some YouTube suggestions like tapping on the screen, etc. to no avail.

It's not even two years old yet. I've never once had an Apple device just die on me like this. Appreciate any pointers!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Is it possible your charger/cable died? I just had this problem with my iPhone last week - woke up to find the phone completely dead, tried everything to wake it, etc to no avail. Turns out my charging brick went tango uniform at some point during the night.

Reactions: OrlandoTragic

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Is it possible your charger/cable died? I just had this problem with my iPhone last week - woke up to find the phone completely dead, tried everything to wake it, etc to no avail. Turns out my charging brick went tango uniform at some point during the night.
I thought about this and currently have it charging on a different charger but its been plugged in for about 30 minutes now with no luck :(

Starting to think its just toast. But I'm glad you figured out that's what was causing your issue! Seems like a relatively easy "fix" for you, ha.

Reactions: dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Starting to think its just toast. But I'm glad you figured out that's what was causing your issue! Seems like a relatively easy "fix" for you, ha.

Scared the heck out of me, that's for sure. Reminded me how much I rely on my phone. Good luck figuring out your Mini!

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Leave it on the charger for a while, then see if it pops up.

And by a while I mean hours.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yeah I’ve let it charge for the last 5 hours and nothing. Ugh.
And what’s better is that to repair it costs $350 according to Apple when a new one is $450.

I’m an idiot for not getting Apple Care on it.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah I’ve let it charge for the last 5 hours and nothing. Ugh.
And what’s better is that to repair it costs $350 according to Apple when a new one is $450.

I’m an idiot for not getting Apple Care on it.
Try bringing it to your local Apple store & tell them nicely about your story. Sometimes i’ve been pleasantly surprised even without apple care how i was treated. It’s worth a shot.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Somewhat happy ending on this one - ended up going to Apple Store today, the iPad was in fact dead. Possible circuit board issue. They initially tried charging me $349 to replace but I was diplomatic about the whole thing and they eventually were able to replace it for $119 under a battery claim.

I wasn’t paying $349 when a brand new one is $100 more.

Still not entirely thrilled since it was a lightly used and mint condition device, but $119 is better than $349!

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Glad they at least fixed it more cheaply - I wonder if Apple Engineering wanted that unit back to do a more through diagnosis. Outside of all the screaming about the screen I really haven't heard anything negative about the Mini 6 (and mine's been fine for 18 months).

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yeah the Genius who helped me said this was literally the first completely DOA Mini 6 he had seen! Of course I was the lucky one 🤣

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I recently had an iPad Mini 6 die after less than a week. It was an open box return from Best Buy but appeared to be in perfect condition when I bought it. I purchased it on Thursday and woke up on Sunday and the screen was dead with lines through it. I could have just returned it to Best Buy but I got a really good deal on it ($523 for a 256gb cellular) so I took it to the Apple Store under my warranty and they swapped it out.

I was shocked similar to the OP because it was the first Apple Device ever that just died on me like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.