Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

research42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
Hey, I am looking at the Ipad Mini 6. Can you output the ipad Mini 6 to an external monitor? And, can you use an external keyboard with trackpad with this particular device? (seems like most of the advertised external keyboards lack a trackpad).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hey, I am looking at the Ipad Mini 6. Can you output the ipad Mini 6 to an external monitor? And, can you use an external keyboard with trackpad with this particular device? (seems like most of the advertised external keyboards lack a trackpad).

Yes, it has the same capabilities as other USB-C-based iPads.

research42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
Thanks for the responses—the video is very helpful. I wanted to share my experience as I just received my Ipad mini 6 and set it up. A caveat to the video—the Ipad mini 6 doesn't work with thunderbolt, so that renders my caldigit TS3 plus useless:confused: but I do have another adaptor that works.

If you are planning to use your the Ipad Mini 6 with an external display here is my experience:

Likes: I love the size and portability of the mini, it is amazing to hold and interact with and it allows me to transition between spaces easily. The mini's processor is fast enough for my needs (web, email, spreadsheet/word processing productivity).

Dislikes: The main issue I have is that although I move around a lot, I am always hooking it up to an external monitor and am frequently splitting the screen to compare and edit docs/spreadsheets for several hours a day. The bars on the sides of the external monitor really bug me and the output to my 4k screen seems bloated and blurry. I would love to be able to play with the output resolution as fonts just don't look crisp in comparison to the output on my MBA. Lastly, the interaction just don't seem as efficient as a laptop especially when working with spreadsheets (but that could just be me needing to adapt).

Conclusion: I realise my main intended use is not really what the device is designed for, but I also don't consider myself a "power" user. I don't edit videos or photos or play games, so it just seems a shame that we can't use devices like these for basic productivity (they are powerful enough). Perhaps, you can I argue that I am just a dinosaur who needs to evolve! And, I will keep trying to love it for a couple more days, but I think I will be returning my mini for another MBA.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks for the responses—the video is very helpful. I wanted to share my experience as I just received my Ipad mini 6 and set it up. A caveat to the video—the Ipad mini 6 doesn't work with thunderbolt, so that renders my caldigit TS3 plus useless:confused: but I do have another adaptor that works.

If you are planning to use your the Ipad Mini 6 with an external display here is my experience:

Likes: I love the size and portability of the mini, it is amazing to hold and interact with and it allows me to transition between spaces easily. The mini's processor is fast enough for my needs (web, email, spreadsheet/word processing productivity).

Dislikes: The main issue I have is that although I move around a lot, I am always hooking it up to an external monitor and am frequently splitting the screen to compare and edit docs/spreadsheets for several hours a day. The bars on the sides of the external monitor really bug me and the output to my 4k screen seems bloated and blurry. I would love to be able to play with the output resolution as fonts just don't look crisp in comparison to the output on my MBA. Lastly, the interaction just don't seem as efficient as a laptop especially when working with spreadsheets (but that could just be me needing to adapt).

Conclusion: I realise my main intended use is not really what the device is designed for, but I also don't consider myself a "power" user. I don't edit videos or photos or play games, so it just seems a shame that we can't use devices like these for basic productivity (they are powerful enough). Perhaps, you can I argue that I am just a dinosaur who needs to evolve! And, I will keep trying to love it for a couple more days, but I think I will be returning my mini for another MBA.

iPad support for external monitors is extremely poor. I have a 2021 12.9 Pro and a Mini 6 but I do the majority of my work on a Surface Pro 7 connected to a 4K monitor as I like the large, clear display for a lot of tasks. You're not a dinosaur by any means.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I applaud you for trying things that an overwhelming majority of iPad owners don't try to do. Some of us here on MR have pushed the iPad platform as far as it could go. For some, it fits within the scope of their needs. For others, like myself, it falls short of the potential it has.

The only way to know if it would work for someone is to try it themselves. You've done that, and you know first-hand how well or poorly it met your needs.

My iPad Mini 5 is primarily my digital notebook and ebook reader. I traded in my 12.9 iPad Pro and have relegated all other tablet-like activities to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. I've given away my Macbook Air and because of DeX on the S6, I can do notebook-like activities on it... for those tasks that require Mac OS, I use the S6 to remotely connect to an iMac in my home office. It's terrific to have access to Mac OS like that... and in those situations where I can display it on an an external display attached to the S6, terrific.

All that to say, yes... you are a dinosaur. You're not alone. I'm one too. But that's a good thing... tools are just tools and using the right one for the task is, or should be, the goal.

research42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
I applaud you for trying things that an overwhelming majority of iPad owners don't try to do. Some of us here on MR have pushed the iPad platform as far as it could go. For some, it fits within the scope of their needs. For others, like myself, it falls short of the potential it has.

The only way to know if it would work for someone is to try it themselves. You've done that, and you know first-hand how well or poorly it met your needs.

My iPad Mini 5 is primarily my digital notebook and ebook reader. I traded in my 12.9 iPad Pro and have relegated all other tablet-like activities to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. I've given away my Macbook Air and because of DeX on the S6, I can do notebook-like activities on it... for those tasks that require Mac OS, I use the S6 to remotely connect to an iMac in my home office. It's terrific to have access to Mac OS like that... and in those situations where I can display it on an an external display attached to the S6, terrific.

All that to say, yes... you are a dinosaur. You're not alone. I'm one too. But that's a good thing... tools are just tools and using the right one for the task is, or should be, the goal.
Well said!—remote access to MacOS... will have to look into that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.