Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Are Your minis also getting warm/hot - I have noticed it during fairly light usage - web browsing, magazines etc.
i wonder about heat dissipation as the affected area seems to be located on camera side, bottom corner.
Just wondering whether it is normal or something to be concerned about - had mini 4th gen but don’t remember if that was present there as well.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
It’s normal for new devices and new restores/rebuilds to get hot while organizing themselves. Should go away in a few days. Get an app that shows cpu to confirm

Reactions: leperry

Purplemobb

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
I just came here to see if anyone else was experiencing what sees to be an abnormal amount of heat. Mine is also getting very warm by simply browsing forums. Hopefully it settles down.

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
It’s normal for new devices and new restores/rebuilds to get hot while organizing themselves. Should go away in a few days. Get an app that shows cpu to confirm

I always do clean setup for iPads.
Just put some streaming apps and magazines.
Really hope that it will settle but have my doubts about it… it seems that simple tasks bring the heat since it dissipates quite quickly when not in use.

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
yeah noticed this one too thought new devices will not exhibit this behaviour, ditch my xs due to heating, mainly when using safari/web browsing and it gets uncomfortable since i am not using any case

as long as it is less than 40 degC, per standard an acceptable temp for portable device

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
I just came here to see if anyone else was experiencing what sees to be an abnormal amount of heat. Mine is also getting very warm by simply browsing forums. Hopefully it settles down.
There is an issue with the macrumors website specifically which causes devices to drain battery and overheat. It’s not your device. The admins are aware but apparently don’t know how to fix it.

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
There is an issue with the macrumors website specifically which causes devices to drain battery and overheat. It’s not your device. The admins are aware but apparently don’t know how to fix it.

Mine gets hot using pressreader or similar apps.
I’ll wait and see whether it will settle after 4-5 days

twinpeaks_sf

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
Lamorinda, CA, USA
My iPad regularly gets hot on the right side below the camera when doing quick web browsing and other medium-duty tasks inside a cool room. Since it’s been over a week since setup, I doubt it’s due to background processing, especially since it cools down when I stop doing stuff on it. Most recently, it got warm after strolling around in Apple Maps Look Around, so perhaps pushing the processor in this small chassis causes the heat up. Maybe this is why they clocked the A15…

oneflipgguy

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
San Diego
Mine does get warm on the lower right mostly when in portrait but it seems like it does it while browsing the web unless it’s macrumors causing my iPad to heat up? LOL. It runs cool while watching YouTube. ??‍♂️

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Mine does get warm on the lower right mostly when in portrait but it seems like it does it while browsing the web unless it’s macrumors causing my iPad to heat up? LOL. It runs cool while watching YouTube. ??‍♂️
Macrumors is probably the culprit, ads... my mini runs cool most of the time, better than I expected, but I don't browse on it too much.

Reactions: oneflipgguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.