Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Generally like my iPad mini 6. Especially the small size that makes it easy to put in a bag and take with me. Use it for movies and other content. My major gripe is with the smaller size of text, especially since the display is smaller than that of my iPhone 8+. Do you think this might change with updates of the system? Or can it.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I’m guessing you’ve already increased the text size within settings?

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
The UI size issue has always been there since the first gen iPad mini. It's a scaled down version of a full sized iPad UI, that’s why you'll see buttons and widgets being absurdly smaller in comparison to other iPads. I think Apple can easily fix this with a software update to make iPadOS more optimised for the iPad mini, but I doubt they will because they could've done this when they released the iPad mini 6 if they actually cared.

As much as I love the hardware of the iPad mini, the software really is a big let down.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The UI size issue has always been there since the first gen iPad mini. It's a scaled down version of a full sized iPad UI, that’s why you'll see buttons and widgets being absurdly smaller in comparison to other iPads. I think Apple can easily fix this with a software update to make iPadOS more optimised for the iPad mini, but I doubt they will because they could've done this when they released the iPad mini 6 if they actually cared.

As much as I love the hardware of the iPad mini, the software really is a big let down.

It’s a bit of a balancing act between having a full sized iPad UI and bigger UI elements. I prefer the current situation than for the mini to sport a UI that’s closer to iPhones.

Sure, Apple can optimize some things but there are limits to what can be done with such a small screen while retaining a full iPad interface. For example, if I increase the scaling to a more comfortable size when I’m browsing websites, the site usually switches to phone layout instead of desktop layout.

Reactions: sparksd and jdb8167

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Generally like my iPad mini 6. Especially the small size that makes it easy to put in a bag and take with me. Use it for movies and other content. My major gripe is with the smaller size of text, especially since the display is smaller than that of my iPhone 8+. Do you think this might change with updates of the system? Or can it.
Have you increased the font size in Settings?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You can mess with font size, but it's limited to working on only some apps, and it makes some elements of the UI look...odd.

Reactions: kht410
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.