Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
It’s certainly supposed to be 5Gbps capable.

iPad mini - Technical Specifications - Apple (UK).png

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I am using a certified Thunderbolt 3 cable and tried both the Thunderbolt ports on my MBP and the 5G USB-C port on a CalDigit TS3+.

It shows 480Mbps on both.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I am using a certified Thunderbolt 3 cable and tried both the Thunderbolt ports on my MBP and the 5G USB-C port on a CalDigit TS3+.

It shows 480Mbps on both.
Same Caldigit TS3+ dock here, have used a USB3.1 cable that happily maxes out the speed of my external SSDs but when connected to the new mini reports 480mbps in System Report. Having transferred a lot of data to my new mini I can confirm it’s definitely only running at that rate. I left it for half an hour and went and did something else while it transferred. It‘s like being back in 2010 again.

• Sad
Reactions: bhodinut

kyle2018nyc

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2022
1) All mobile devices including galaxy s22 plus provide slower transfer speeds comparing to external SSDs. Not as slow as USB Flash drives but slower than external SSDS (Somewhere in the middle between between USB flash drives and external SSDs).

2) Whatever the computer says about ports or speeds of connected devices is irrelevant. We need to hear real time transfer speeds!

USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 (Gen1) real time speeds:

- Galaxy s20 FE (around 150 MB/s write and 220 MB/s read)
-Galaxy S22 plus (109 MB/s write and 120 MB/s Read)
- Standard Sandisk USB flash drive
(36 MB/s write and 130 MB/s read)
-Fastest Sandisk GEN.1 external SSD (280 MB/s Write and 460 MB/s write)

So when specs of external SSD say up to 1000 MB/s , in reality you get 280/460.
When usb flash drive clams up to 150 MB/s, in reality you get 36/130)
And phones get unspecified speeds somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Interesting. I wonder if the problem is with the M1 USB-C controller. There have been numerous reports of problems with the M1 USB-C.

M1 USB in general needs (Apple) attention: unexpected ejection, not running at full speeds, etc. Have a look at this and on a broader basis that includes some objective testing of Thunderbolt connections too, this is pretty interesting. I take all that to mean that Apple Marketing is making defensible promises that Apple hardware/software can't quite deliver now... but can probably deliver whenever Apple gets around to debugging connection hardware on Silicon Macs. I'm guessing Macs CAN do what is promised WHEN the OS bugs standing in the way of that now are finally addressed.

I continue to hope that WWDC announces a year or two of Snow Monterey.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1) All mobile devices including galaxy s22 plus provide slower transfer speeds comparing to external SSDs

2) Guys: Please stop telling us what the computer says about ports or speeds of connected devices because all of this is not accurate anyway. Instead give us real time transfer speeds!

3) Here is, for example, my Galaxy S20FE and Galaxy S22 plus real time read/write speeds, using the fastest 3.1 transfer cable:
------------------
S20 FE: 260 MB/s / 200 MB/s
S22 plus: (even worse):
109 MB/s / 123 MB/s

I can only assume that build in flash memories used on mobile phones ( all Samsung memory chips by the way on iphones and on Samsung phones) are not as fast as the ones used on external SSDs.
Just like USB flash drives are much slower than external SSDs.

SanDisk external SSD with 3.1 gen 1 connection is not magic but decent real time transfer speeds 600 MB/s / 480 MB/s (the fastest model of SanDisk 3.1 gen 1).

iPhone/iPad internal storage is actually pretty fast. Unlike other companies that use eMMC (all-in-one package with controller and NAND), iPhones and iPads use a storage controller built into the Apple A-series or M-series chipset plus separate NAND chip(s).

Real world USB interface speeds are iffy though.

JazzDiskBench iPad mini 6 2022-05-09 at 6.27.23 AM.png

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
iPhone/iPad internal storage is actually pretty fast. Unlike other companies that use eMMC (all-in-one package with controller and NAND), iPhones and iPads use a storage controller built into the Apple A-series or M-series chipset plus separate NAND chip(s).

Real world USB interface speeds are iffy though.

View attachment 2002867
I don't know which other companies you refer to, but Samsung has been using UFS storage in their phones and tablets for a while. Which depending on the generation has been up to SATA and now PCIe SSDs (at least in reading, writing speeds for UFS are generally half as slow as read speeds). This of course should not be confused with the USB transfer speeds which depend on many factors. The post you quoted seems to be confusing the 2 things.
The 10Gb/s transfer speeds of USB C iPad pro, let alone the Thunderbolt speeds of M1, are only theoretical limits at this point. There are no benchmark for USB speeds on IOS but empirical tests show that not even 5Gb/s are reached in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.