Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I came across this third party Magic Keyboard case for the iPad mini 6 and I’m wondering if anyone has tried it, or know about the brand?

I had an 11” Pro with the MKB but sold it to get a mini and MBP — although I miss having something portable with a keyboard that I can take for quick study sessions or to the coffee shop without having to haul a 20 pound massive slab (ok not that bad… but the 16” Pro is massive). I love the form of the MKB so I’d love to get this or something similar.

It’s made by Henghui on Amazon, their other cases have decent reviews but this one has none.

It’s $200 after shipping and tax so don’t want to risk having a dud.

Also, are keyboard cases from China safe? Can anything be sketchy since it’s Bluetooth?

Thanks!

Attachments

• BC5D2A33-0626-43A6-8549-597F461A24C0.jpeg
    BC5D2A33-0626-43A6-8549-597F461A24C0.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 1,264

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It’s gonna be Bluetooth, since the iPad mini doesn’t have the Smart Connector. I like the look of the design; seems very similar to the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pros. I’m a “Little” concerned about balance; they want to give as much visibility to the keys as possible so it’s hinged to hold the iPad pretty far back - compare it to the Magic Keyboard and the difference is pretty stark. So that means either the keyboard is HEAVY enough to balance things out, or it’s going to be pretty tippy.

Of course the size of the keyboard is another concern. I have my iPad mini 6 here and I’m trying to imagine typing on a keyboard that narrow. Doesn’t sound like fun, at least not to the point of paying $170+ for it and maybe not liking it.

1674170761079.jpeg

Reactions: Open-Source-Norange

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
This is EXACTLY what I want... but without any reviews, I wouldn't want to take the plunge..

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For light typing at a coffee shop with my mini, I’d be looking at these. Better key spacing, water resistant, and not terribly expensive.

View attachment 2144931
I agree. I have two (iOS version and Android/Windows) and they are terrific. It works well when I have my iPad Mini 5 and smart cover. Super light and super portable.

It’s gonna be Bluetooth, since the iPad mini doesn’t have the Smart Connector. I like the look of the design; seems very similar to the Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pros. I’m a “Little” concerned about balance; they want to give as much visibility to the keys as possible so it’s hinged to hold the iPad pretty far back - compare it to the Magic Keyboard and the difference is pretty stark. So that means either the keyboard is HEAVY enough to balance things out, or it’s going to be pretty tippy.

Of course the size of the keyboard is another concern. I have my iPad mini 6 here and I’m trying to imagine typing on a keyboard that narrow. Doesn’t sound like fun, at least not to the point of paying $170+ for it and maybe not liking it.

View attachment 2144898
You are right to be concerned. I have a Zagg keyboard case for my iPad Mini 5 and I'll occasionally use it as a mini netbook of sorts (I had one of the first generation of netbooks, the Asus EeePC. It had a 7" screen).
For short typing sessions, it is a challenge. But if I use it for extended periods of time, I adjust and works out well.

Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.