Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mickdav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
So I have a up to date IPad mini 6 and it only charges by USB-C to USB-C. Put a USB-A to USB-C and there is crickets does not see the cable.

Does not seem a issue but half the time I need to use it in a machine that only has USB-A ports so you can see the problem.

Mickdav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
Are you sure the cable with usb-A is one capable of charging? It might either be dead or just made without enough pins
I have tried multiple cables and the same cables charge my iPhone 15 without issue. This is a recent problem, I didn’t have this problem a month ago.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Try this cable, link below, it’s actually made for usb a to c or c to a. There could be an issue with your cable and or converter. (Link below)

Universal Cable USB-C​

0.3m | Kevlar®​

Designed for versatility, USB-C Universal Cable with Kevlar® is the fastest USB-C charging cable for your MacBook Pro, other USB-C, and Micro USB devices. Quickly transition between USB-A, USB-C, and Micro USB connectors to charge your devices. Reinforced with a double-braided Kevlar® outer sheath and strong metal alloy connector housings, this cable has been engineered for extreme durability and heavy everyday use.
  • 100W USB-C PD core cable
  • USB-A and Micro USB adapters
  • Kevlar® outer braid
  • Metal alloy connector plugs
  • Integrated cable tie
  • 0.3m Length
Universal nomad cable

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't use USB-A with my iPad mini 6, but I tried it just to see - one of my USB-A to USB-C cables works, one of them doesn't. So it does seem to be related to the cable you use.

FWIW - the two cables I tried, were both included with devices. The USB-A to USB-C that works came with a Nikon camera; the USB-A to USB-C that doesn't came with an Epson scanner.

Mickdav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
I don't use USB-A with my iPad mini 6, but I tried it just to see - one of my USB-A to USB-C cables works, one of them doesn't. So it does seem to be related to the cable you use.

FWIW - the two cables I tried, were both included with devices. The USB-A to USB-C that works came with a Nikon camera; the USB-A to USB-C that doesn't came with an Epson scanner.
That’s interesting I have tried I think 15 cables, some third party others Apple Original and all don’t work but any usb-c to c no matter which works fine. I’m thinking a problem with my port part I can’t explain the reason why.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That’s interesting I have tried I think 15 cables, some third party others Apple Original and all don’t work but any usb-c to c no matter which works fine. I’m thinking a problem with my port part I can’t explain the reason why.
Well, Apple doesn't make a USB-C to USB-A cable so you haven't tried theirs ;)

They do sell this one from Belkin: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HRDN2ZM/A

The simpler solution, is put USB-C chargers wherever you'll want to charge your iPad.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Also, another data point... just for grins & giggles, I tried both USB-A to USB-C cables with my iPhone 15 Pro. Both cables charge it, but only one does the iPad.

Mickdav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2023
Well, Apple doesn't make a USB-C to USB-A cable so you haven't tried theirs ;)

They do sell this one from Belkin: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HRDN2ZM/A

The simpler solution, is put USB-C chargers wherever you'll want to charge your iPad.
My mistake then, yes converting everything to usb-c output would be good but at $400 a piece would cost about $4000 lol be cheaper to buy a new iPad that works. It’s in aircraft but the way..

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
My mistake then, yes converting everything to usb-c output would be good but at $400 a piece would cost about $4000 lol be cheaper to buy a new iPad that works. It’s in aircraft but the way..
Yes, aviation stuff is expensive. I sold my last airplane in 2009 so never got to fly with an iPad… but I did have a ThinkPad tablet computer back then. What I did was have a “cigarette lighter socket” installed by my avionics shop, and everything else was “portable” so didn’t need to be certified. I had a USB port to keep my iPhone charged, and an inverter for the laptop. Of course both had to work on 24v but they’re out there.

If you have 10 airplanes to outfit… well, I get the cost concern. Try one of those Belkin cables, maybe that will do the trick. iPads do use more power than an iPhone so perhaps that’s why some cables work on an iPhone but don’t on the iPad, not sure. Or perhaps it’s something Apple can address with a software update.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
This is going to sound dumb, but are you certain it's not charging? MacBooks will display a "plugged in / not charging" indicator if they are connected to a lower wattage charger, but having them connected while running will slow the rate of battery drain, and they will charge slowly if they are in sleep mode. That might be what's going on here.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is going to sound dumb, but are you certain it's not charging? MacBooks will display a "plugged in / not charging" indicator if they are connected to a lower wattage charger, but having them connected while running will slow the rate of battery drain, and they will charge slowly if they are in sleep mode. That might be what's going on here.
In my tests, there's a clear difference between the two USB-C to USB-A cables. With the one cable you get the lightning bolt on the battery & the connect sound - with the other you get.... nothing. No reaction at all.

Reactions: segfaultdotorg

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
In my tests, there's a clear difference between the two USB-C to USB-A cables. With the one cable you get the lightning bolt on the battery & the connect sound - with the other you get.... nothing. No reaction at all.
Try the Belkin cable what have got to loose, a few dollars vs $400? BTW the Belkin cable is USB-IF certified AND SOLD BY APPLE.

Belkin site USB C TO USB A

Works with most USB-C smartphones, tablets and laptops.
  • iPad (10.9") 10th Gen
  • iPad Pro (12.9”) 3rd Gen
  • iPad Pro (12.9") 4th Gen
  • MacBook Pro
  • MacBook Air
  • iPad mini 6th Gen
  • Google Pixel 4
  • Google Pixel 5
  • Google Pixel 6
  • iPad Air 4
  • iPad Pro (11.0")
  • iPhone 15
  • iPhone 15 Pro
  • iPhone 15 Plus
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max

Fast charging.​

Support up to 15W(3A/5V) fast charging to your device. It can charge up a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra from 0-50% in 45 minutes** (when paired with 18W or higher USB-C PD charger, not included).

USB 2.0 data transfer + USB-IF certified.​

Our USB 2.0-ready cable transfers data at a top speed of 480 Mbps. It’s certified by USB-IF to meet all electrical, mechanical and environmental standards, ensuring a superior user experience.

Reactions: segfaultdotorg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.