Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Taub

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Miami Beach FL
I use my ipad mini 6 to watch video, news, tech stuff, cycling stuff, etc. But I want to start using it to sketch on. I'll be using programs like procreate, sketches, and brushes.

I'm thinking to buy apple's gen 2 pencil. Do i need a screen protector? Will the pencil tips damage the screen without one?

I've read that some like 'Paperlike' diminish screen quality. Get scratches on it? While others like Ambison matte glass are 'better'?

I don't mind minor image degradation when watching short news clips, etc. But don't want the screen looking like crap either.

Any advice? I started looking at David Hockney's work with the ipad and thought, man, I want to try that. He has been doing some amazing things with it. DH, 85 years young, and still at it...

thanks for help, advice, personal experience...I use my ipad every day so I want it to be excellent every day for consumption but also now to input some work...

later...

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Pencil tips won’t damage it unless something odd happens like you have debris on the screen before using it. People who use the Paperlike type of protection seem to enjoy the friction it creates but as you said it does degrade image quality and it can wear down pencil tips quicker. However, I heard Paperlike has a new version that’s supposed to improve on clarity.

Thankfully screen protectors are relatively cheap so look up reviews and try them out yourself.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
My preferenced is the Ambison matte glass screen protector. It doesn’t have the same rainbow sparkles effect that the matte plastic screen protectors do and it doesn’t show scratches or wear and tear like the plastic ones do. I’ve used several brands of matte plastic over the years (including PaperLike) but am using the matte glass protectors on multiple iPads now.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
On my first iPad I didn't use a screen protector for a couple of years; on my 12.9" I have a Paperlike, have used it for a year, and I haven't noticed it wearing down. Nor have I noticed the image looking degraded, but perhaps others may be more sensitive. It does add a sound like pencil on paper, which is nice.

David Taub

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Miami Beach FL
Thanks for all the info. Picked up my pencil at the apple store this morning. Also took a class on iphone photography. I learned some stuff. Asked about recommendatons for ipad screen covers. Mark told me most of the apple workers use and like Paperlike.

Following sheepish-lord's advice. Ordered Paperlike from amazon here in France. Will arrive Saturday 3 December. I asked for the weekend delivery due to work. But also ordered the glass matte version from Ambison. The Ambison coming from amazon in America so will be here by 8 December.

I hope to sketch/draw a lot and don't want to be worrying about the ipad surface. I will try both. See what works best.

Ok. That's all I got. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.