Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I have the pro, two airs, two mini gen 5, and now the mini 6. I’m a pilot and the others are for our charts and aircraft manuals/checklists.

I love this mini 6. I’m a Daimler driver kind of person not doing CAD or editing on it. Zero complaints with speed or screen quality. No clue what anyone is seeing with the jelly complaints. Looks just like my iPhones and I think is blown way out of proportion. Zero regrets. I love it.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I have the pro, two airs, two mini gen 5, and now the mini 6. I’m a pilot and the others are for our charts and aircraft manuals/checklists.

I love this mini 6. I’m a Daimler driver kind of person not doing CAD or editing on it. Zero complaints with speed or screen quality. No clue what anyone is seeing with the jelly complaints. Looks just like my iPhones and I think is blown way out of proportion. Zero regrets. I love it.
If you go looking for it you will eventually see the jelly scrolling issue. I can see it and very occasionally it startles me since most of the time it isn’t noticeable. I suggest you don’t go looking for it like I did.

Even though I can see it, I agree that the jelly scrolling issues was blown out of proportion. Love the iPad mini 6. I carry it nearly everywhere.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Let's hope that the first time the OP sees it isn’t when he's flying!

I'd also add that the only people who think the jelly scrolling up biz is blown out of proportion are those who aren't bothered by it or don't see it!

That's true of creakgate, bendgate, donglegate, and antennagate, too.

It just shows how hard it still is for people to put themselves in other people's shoes!

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Let's hope that the first time the OP sees it isn’t when he's flying!

I'd also add that the only people who think the jelly scrolling up biz is blown out of proportion are those who aren't bothered by it or don't see it!

That's true of creakgate, bendgate, donglegate, and antennagate, too.

It just shows how hard it still is for people to put themselves in other people's shoes!
Two things can be true, that firstly there are people who genuinely respond negatively to the jelly-effect, yet at the same time the situation was blown out of proportion (given all 60Hz iPads have visible jelly scroll, most do so in landscape).

Reactions: jdb8167

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Gave up my iPad Pro 11” to pay for my 14” M1 Pro and I kinda miss having an iPad. I mainly miss it for reading and journaling. Thinking of grabbing a Mini. I’ll likely miss ProMotion and the screen real estate for comics. Idk. The 11” iPad Pro is a bad buy IMO and I kinda miss the small foot print. I had the original retina Mini ages ago.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Gave up my iPad Pro 11” to pay for my 14” M1 Pro and I kinda miss having an iPad. I mainly miss it for reading and journaling. Thinking of grabbing a Mini. I’ll likely miss ProMotion and the screen real estate for comics. Idk. The 11” iPad Pro is a bad buy IMO and I kinda miss the small foot print. I had the original retina Mini ages ago.
I love the mini the more I use. I don’t grab my iPhone near as much. Enjoy reading on it. For using Foreflight, the web, Plex, FuboTV, and reading books I find it perfect. Even the bezel size is just right. Maybe if they made thinner bezels but programmed in a dead zone for the palms then I wouldn’t mind but it’s so handy for me it goes everywhere I do.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and RRC

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Mini 6 is FANTASTIC. Like tekmoe in post #2, I also use it in place of iPhone (with buds) at home... and also away from home: ONE device to do BOTH things. It's terrific! The T-mobile prepaid plan available on it- $10 for 5 months or 5GB- means I can max out on continuous 5G service for $60 PER YEAR. Since the vast majority of my use of such devices is NOT as a phone- much more for texting & mobile computing- I really don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I can certainly see the "jelly scroll." All that takes is getting any kind of image or web page that scan scroll up or down, holding the iPad in portrait, touching a finger to the far left or right, rapidly scrolling up or down to move the image and, using your peripheral vision, you'll see the other edge dragging a bit behind the portion you are touching. It's only a little behind and- if it bothered me- I could take a longer blink while scrolling so that by the time I re-opened my eyes, it had "caught up" to the rest of the image.

Net: ONE device instead of two... a fraction of the typical annual cell phone bill but still having full 5G... pretty much every app is typically enhanced with a bit more screen RE... iPads tend to not feel "long in tooth" as fast as it seems to go with iPhones so- like the "2" before this one- I expect to get 5 or 6 years out of this "6"... etc.

Cons: can't fit in a pocket (except suit jacket pocket), no 911 service (but can set up emergency services for 1 click speed dial), doesn't come with the MAX cameras (but can still shoot 4K, etc), and not using the Apple iPhone phone app (but there are plenty of great VOIP app alternatives). While these 2 don't affect me, those who like Watch or CarPlay have tech that seems like it must be "married" to an iPhone, so that's an added con for those who must have either or both of those.

In terms of pure goto utility/usefulness, I would rank it and AppleTV as best Apple products I own (and I own MBpro, Mac Studio Ultra, AirPods Pro, etc). Mini 6 is GRRRRRRRRRREAT!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.