Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksAndDruids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2022
My wife and I’s current family iPad Mini suffered significant water damage and that means that we’re in the market for a new one.

We primarily use the iPad as a general device — household emails, web browsing, ebook reading, music, bill paying etc.

The obvious purchase is the iPad Mini 6 because we’ve found that form factor to be perfect and it’s the only one that fits in all her bags especially the small sling ones she uses whenever we go on our fortnightly trips to the city. Reading the reviews though, it seems overly negative?

Would you recommend going with the Air instead? Or even the regular iPad? We’d have to look into getting bigger bags and dealing with the decrease in portability but is it worth it?

Not keen on waiting for the Mini 7 which may or may not arrive in the coming months.

Thanks!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I really like my mini 6. I do have an iPad Pro 11 and find I use the mini 6 much more. I use my mini 6, everyday for several hours a day but I use my iPad Pro about 4 times per week. As you are already used to the mini form factor and are happy with it I would recommend the mini 6.

I’ve had my mini 6 since it launched and I have no issues with mine. I do know about he jelly scrolling issues and I’d say it depends on how sensitive you are to such issues. I’d also say if you actively look for it you will find it. I have seen the jelly scrolling on some display models but that’s because I was actively looking for it. It didn’t bother me. On my own unit I suspect it’s there because all the units have it apparently. I just don’t look for it. I mean why would I scroll really fast or really slowly, just to trigger defect, when that’s not how I use the device. I don’t see it and I have no issues with it in everyday use. It’s just not an issue for me.

Reactions: jjk454ss

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK
My wife and I’s current family iPad Mini suffered significant water damage and that means that we’re in the market for a new one.

We primarily use the iPad as a general device — household emails, web browsing, ebook reading, music, bill paying etc.

The obvious purchase is the iPad Mini 6 because we’ve found that form factor to be perfect and it’s the only one that fits in all her bags especially the small sling ones she uses whenever we go on our fortnightly trips to the city. Reading the reviews though, it seems overly negative?

Would you recommend going with the Air instead? Or even the regular iPad? We’d have to look into getting bigger bags and dealing with the decrease in portability but is it worth it?

Not keen on waiting for the Mini 7 which may or may not arrive in the coming months.

Thanks!

iPad Air 5 with no more questions, definitely!

We replaced our home iPad Mini with iPad Air 5 couple of months ago and I would never ever switch back. We'd used iPad Mini for the past few years and it was fine. But recently started thinking about upgrade. My wife said she wants screen to be bigger, she didn't find screen of iPad Mini as comfortable as when we bought it. After a brief research we decided to go for iPad Air 5 (2022 model it is I think) to also replace her old MacBook Pro.

We could not make a better decision. Sreen of iPad Air is much much better than Mini, basically for everything you do. Browsing web, sending emails, watching You Tube, watching Netflix etc.

After having iPad Mini for few years I would never go back to that small screen again.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I'm another who likes the Mini 6 and I don't have any regrets on the purchase. Mine is the cellular version and is a perfect mobile companion to my M1 12.9. A big negative for a lot of people is the jelly scrolling issue but it does not bother me in the least - I have to make an effort to really notice it at all. But your wife may have a different view so it's an aspect to check out in the return period if you get one.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You’re already used to and familiar with the form factor more or less hence I recommend just get the mini and try it out during the return period.

Reactions: sparksd and sracer

Sebski

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
UK
You’re already used to and familiar with the form factor more or less hence I recommend just get the mini and try it out during the return period.

Because of what you said he should try a different iPad (screen size), not go for the same one.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Because of what you said he should try a different iPad (screen size), not go for the same one.
I don't see that logic. The OP has labeled the mini as "the obvious choice" for them, hence there is a clear preference. For the stated use case and for the familiarity with the screen size, that would be my choice in that situation.

Sure, an argument can be made to explore different screen sizes etc but it seemed to me that the OP is happy in that regard, which I can understand. From a requirements perspective even the entry level iPad can be used to accomplish all the tasks listed.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.