Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
on the iPad mini 64 GB with 6.1.3 (which i at no time updated to iOS7 because it is a design nightmare) the System has preloaded the iOS 7.02 sw update and is asking me to install and i cannot get rid of this .dmg file eating up 1.23 GB of storage space.

on the iPhone 4S 64 w/ iOS 6.1.3 it did not preload the iOS7 sw update as it says that it at least takes 3.1 GB space to do so, so it couldnt. but on the iPad it had 4 - 6 GB of space so it just did.

(Apple should put a switch on an iOS 6.1.5 update with which the user can switch off the automatic download of any Software Updates eating up space. But the chances for Apple to churn out an 6.1.x updates are less then slim.)

I have tried to restore (Alt-Restore) in Itunes 10.7 to 6.1.3 (which i have on the iPad mini) and itunes told me that the ipad is not eligable for this version, which cannot be farther from the truth ..

also i have reset the pad from the pad itself but it returned to the status that it is in right now. still have iOS 7.0.2. as a sittin´ duck, eating up space.
so that didnt work either.

(on a sidenote - i do not know wheter my last backup contained the preloaded iOS 7.02. or the pad downloaded it again in the background)

as Apple has no 128GB iPad mini or iPhone for sale and Apple´s Support has been unable to give me a solution to this (they told me to google for a solution :)) the only resort that i know of is to maybe set it up as a new iPad and then erase it again to then go back to the backup..

does anyone have the same challenge / or has a fix for this alrite ?
or know if i can rid the Backup of the iPad of the proloaded iOS 7.02?

thanx guys.

JasonStonier

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
Welcome to Apple.

I am in the wilds of Africa with only 3G connection to the internet, which is served through a 3G wifi router.

Earlier in the year my iPad downloaded 6.1.3 in the background when I was on 5.x, which chewed up a month's worth of data and cost me about $30 (which, as a charity worker, I don't have). There is no way to turn this feature off.

In a protracted series of communications with Apple they basically said "you bought an Apple product, that's what Apple products do, if you don't like it then other consumer products are available".

I still love my iPad and Mac, but the lack of choice Apple gives you over stuff like this does royally irritate me.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
One way or another, Apple will make you upgrade to the new iOS whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, then there must be something wrong with you, and maybe you can learn to like it.

Their apologists keep waving the same flag - there are benefits to iOS 7. We've heard it all before - the control centre, the three-panel notification centre, the camera app that shoots square photos.

There are also benefits to being a Cyberman - no more tiresome emotions to worry about. And if one of your friends is still using their primitive flesh body and refusing to upgrade, it's never been easier to shoot them with your wrist-mounted laser.

Sorry for posting the same image in two threads, but never has it seemed more appropriate.

QKNNpho.jpg

sjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Just install it! It is vastly superior to iOS 6!

You'll get used to it in about 7 seconds.

dont take it personal but

iOS 7 is not heaven you know

When you are in the Music App and scroll down your lists of Artists you see pictures of the albums (randomly or the first of many) but i prefer just the text / Name selection w/o the picture - much more compact.

that alone keeps me away from iOS 7.

as much as I do like Johnny Ive. He seems to be a real nice, calm kinda guy you can easily relate to, this (iOS7) is overdesigned and not at all user friendly..

the lookscreen looks like an android / htc type of thing..

and .. i am very much pro-Apple (since 1984, also went along with NeXTcomputers a lot in 1989) but this is where Apple becomes the new MS.

itunes 11 looking freakish, Mac OS X 10.8 would let me sync NOTES directly anymore ..

to bad that APPL has no alternative ..
the only alternative is a computer/smartphone/tablet free life ...

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I am sure they'll fix the things that annoy us with 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 etc...

Perhaps, but the annoying things are deliberate. Typically, Apple keeps things that it does that are intentionally designed (slow animations, small folders, random artist photos in music, etc).

I'm with the above poster that the Music App alone is worth avoiding iOS 7 for. There isn't enough new stuff in 7 to warrant that loss, combined with the risk of crippled battery life, lag, crashes, and other problems you'll be exposed to.

More to the point, OP had 1 GB of cell data consumed in an expensive area, completely without his knowing or approval. Oh sure, he approved when he agreed to the terms of agreement, etc, etc... like anybody reads that and agrees with each and every statement within it.

It's actually really sad, as the cost affects that persons' living as they are a volunteer. For what? So Apple can say "look how many people updated already! They loooove iOS 7 and all its distillation of romanticized purity!"

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Plug it in to your computer. Launch iTunes, then find the check box that says don't remind me again about this update. Then re-sync your device and it should delete the download. You'll still have the reminder badge that an update is available, but it will remove it from you iPad and free up the space.

sjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
do not like itunes 11.x either...

Plug it in to your computer. Launch iTunes, then find the check box that says don't remind me again about this update. Then re-sync your device and it should delete the download. You'll still have the reminder badge that an update is available, but it will remove it from you iPad and free up the space.

thx for the hint. could you give me a pointer to where this checkbox might be please?

i am on 10.7.5 w/ iTunes 10.7 (21)

thx man.
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.