Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
If there even is a new Mini. Apple already killed off the iPhone Mini.
Apple is still selling the iPhone mini. There was a 3½ year wait between the iPad mini 4 and the mini 5. Maybe there will be a new iPhone mini in 2025. As for the iPad mini, it is used a lot by pilots and for POS, for example. It's unlikely to be dropped from the line-up.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I expect a Mini 7 in the first half of 2024, around the same time the Pros get a redesign. I expect the front camera will stay on the top edge though.
That’s a logical timeframe. About 2 1/2 years after the Mini 6.

I wouldn’t expect any design changes. They’re going to milk the Mini 6 design for a while, I suspect. I wonder if it will be released alongside the next Air, or if Apple will keep them staggered from now on.

With the Air 5 receiving M1, it’s safe to assume that the next Air would be M2 (maybe in the Fall of 2023).

Let’s predict the Mini 7 will have an A17 chip with 6GB RAM (a revision from my earlier 8GB prediction, thanks to other’s feedback). Perhaps dual rear cameras? Is it time for that to trickle down? Wireless charging would also be cool. The next Pros will maybe get that feature alongside the release of the next Mini (why not share the new feature, like they did with Center Stage?).

Edit: I realize that I said they probably won’t change the design, and then jumped right into predicting design changes, like an extra camera lens and/or wireless charging. Maybe those outer changes wouldn’t happen. Probably more of a spec bump, like they did when they refreshed it from the Mini 4 to Mini 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I would wish for a return to the 4:3 screen aspect ratio, but that’s unlikely.

Reactions: N69AP

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Let’s predict the Mini 7 will have an A17 chip with 6GB RAM (a revision from my earlier 8GB prediction, thanks to other’s feedback).

With the Air getting an M-Series Chip, the Mini might get one too. They don't really market it as a cheaper iPad, it is mostly just a smaller Air with a different update cycle. It even had a newer chip, 5G and better camera than the Air when it was released, before that one got updated again.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
With the Air getting an M-Series Chip, the Mini might get one too. They don't really market it as a cheaper iPad, it is mostly just a smaller Air with a different update cycle. It even had a newer chip, 5G and better camera than the Air when it was released, before that one got updated again.
Anything’s possible. We’ll just wait and see. But I’d expect an A series chip over an M series chip, since there’s no precedent for them giving it anything more than an iPhone chip so far. Remember, the Air 2 got A8X, while the Mini 4 got A8.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I dunno when the ipad mini will get updated. Probably not until Spring of 2023 or even Summer or Fall. 🤷‍♂️ But when it does come out, besides a faster chip, I’d LOVE to see Pro Motion finally come to the mini 7.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just bought the Mini 6, so I am good for another 3-4 yrs.
Next Mini coming 2024, as some predicted here, could be. Probably with a M-? at that time, or something else depending how Apple's other stuff evolve. Nobody knows for sure here.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Mini 7 is coming next year. They are on an alternating cycle with the air, next year is the year of the mini, 2024 of the air 6.
Personally, I expect A16 and 6GB RAM and, yes, promotion, after the jelly scroll issue promotion should be the solution and given that the air has M1 and then M2 they don't even need to give it to the air too...

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Heck, the next Mini could be their first foldable device. It really is difficult to predict Apple’s decisions.

We can hope for something big, but I expect a spec bump (I think their big change was last year’s redesign), no earlier than the Fall of 2023. More likely Spring of 2024.

Reactions: cuckoosnest

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Anything’s possible. We’ll just wait and see. But I’d expect an A series chip over an M series chip, since there’s no precedent for them giving it anything more than an iPhone chip so far. Remember, the Air 2 got A8X, while the Mini 4 got A8.

I'm guessing it depends whether or not they want the Mini to have Stage Manager. Without the M chip it won't.
But they might just feel like the display is too small for it anyway.

But it would be a nice way to further justify the higher price compared to the bigger base iPad and to give a reason to upgrade.

Reactions: VaruLV

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
11" iPads have about 50% higher battery capacity than the mini.
I doubt that it's just the display that draws more power.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think the Mini might be RIP pretty soon. you can do a lot more with the bigger screen.

I expected that to be the case after the mini 4 but lo and behold, we got the mini 5 after 4 years without updates.

I reckon the size sells enough units for Apple to release both the mini 5 and mini 6.

Reactions: VaruLV and N69AP

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think the Mini might be RIP pretty soon. you can do a lot more with the bigger screen.
nah as phone sized as still not big enough to do tasks a tablet can do. ipad mini is the perfect portable size for on the go thats not too big. ipad pro 11 inch is portable but certainly not as comfortable as the mini.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It will never get an M1 type chip. Nobody’s is being productive on a mini.

If there even is a new Mini. Apple already killed off the iPhone Mini.
I'll have to find the links to what I'm talking about (I'm thinking it was on Daring Fireball?), but I believe I remember there being leaked internal conversations from Apple that are contrary to both these comments. Their numbers showed (at least at the time) that iPad mini is popular for its size, not its price. Users clearly still wanted the premium features.

This actually explains a lot in my mind--the seemed to abandon the idea of the mini as a "starter iPad for kids" after about the mini 3. Bringing it in line with the high end iPads seems to be the goal now. As a result, I'm VERY productive on my mini 6, even for multitasking during the workday. It's not my main computer or anything, but it's a wonderful alternative on slower afternoons when all I need to do is keep track of my emails and DMs. I'll usually put my main work apps in split screen and either put on some music, a podcast, or video in PiP in the corner.

I have to wonder if the iPhone mini would sell better with that strategy too. We seem to be consolidating around a range of screen sizes between iPhones and iPads that is the sweet spot for most users. iPad mini seems to live in that range for a considerable amount of the user base. iPhone mini does not. I'd say iPhone mini and the 12.9" iPad Pro are probably two of the lowest as far as unit sales in the iOS range.

Reactions: VaruLV and N69AP

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Ipad mini 6 is one of my favorite products apple has ever released. I love it!

As dream ipad mini 7, I would like to have (with order of preference):

1-Oled display with promotion.
2-Face ID (with improved facetime camera, especially in low light).
3-Mx processor (I don’t miss power in mini 6, but I’d like seeing Apple betting strong in ipad mini future)

Reactions: VaruLV

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
3-Mx processor (I don’t miss power in mini 6, but I’d like seeing Apple betting strong in ipad mini future)

I'm perfectly happy sticking with A-series chipsets (for better battery life and heat dissipation). I just wish they'd put in more RAM.

I'd love to have FaceID though. The new TouchID power button hates the fingers on my left hand.

Reactions: VaruLV and Traverse

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I’d like one that has a better screen and perhaps goes back to the different orientation of the jelly scroll
This is a fallacy. None of my devices,.and I mean none of them, display obvious 'jelly scroll' in either orientation. They're mostly 60hz LCD panels dating back 8 years.

The iPad Mini 6 has a panel which for some reason has awfully obvious jelly scroll and it would be a pain in either orientation but I agree that it's more of a pain being in portrait mode where I operate the Mini 6 90% of the time.

Back to the OP, I would like the Mini 7 to have a better quality display panel with no obvious 'jelly scroll' in either landscape or portrait, more RAM and higher quality speakers. I don't think the M1 chip is necessary but why not throw it in for future proofing. The chip is already 2 years old...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Mini 7 is coming next year. They are on an alternating cycle with the air, next year is the year of the mini, 2024 of the air 6.
Personally, I expect A16 and 6GB RAM and, yes, promotion, after the jelly scroll issue promotion should be the solution and given that the air has M1 and then M2 they don't even need to give it to the air too...
The solution is a better quality panel. I have a ton of devices with 60hz panels which don't display obvious jelly scroll.

It's funny how people only really became aware of this phenomenon with the Mini 6 and now claim that all 60hz LCD panels have the same problem.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
This is a fallacy. None of my devices,.and I mean none of them, display obvious 'jelly scroll' in either orientation. They're mostly 60hz LCD panels dating back 8 years.

It’s definitely there as it’s a function of how the technology works. Even Apple is on record talking about this and I can see landscape orientation jelly scroll on my iPad mini 5 in my hand right now.

As you said in the subsequent paragraph… how much you notice it is simply a function of which orientation it is lined up with

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.