Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
Can't find any generation 6 2021 iPad minis here in Philly area. Apple stores are not stocked with them...and delivery from apple is still a month out. I do see that Amazon has them though. These legit? Any experience here buying from Amazon for this one? thanks

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you want to buy from Apple, order online and have the pickup at your local store.

I also just checked the Springfield Best Buy and they have both wifi-only and cellular models in stock. There are plenty of Best Buys in the Philly area. Perhaps check them for in store purchase? Walmart? Target? Etc.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I had decided this week to buy one and had the same problem in the Chicago area. There are 4 different Apple stores I can drive to from where I live, and I found ONE that had ONE unit left, so I took it. I was planning on possibly buying a 256/cellular model, and that's exactly what I had to do in order to not have to wait a month to have it.

So far, not regretting it. I got the starlight color and thought I'd hate it, but I'm too busy loving the iPad to notice.

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I just got one off amazon with no problems, they're an authorized apple seller so ?‍♂️

just make sure you buy from amazon and not a third party selling on amazon, cellular selling for 629 right now

Reactions: geraldem

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I just got one off amazon with no problems, they're an authorized apple seller so ?‍♂️

just make sure you buy from amazon and not a third party selling on amazon, cellular selling for 629 right now
I don't think I'll ever buy a mini again without cellular. I feel like that's the model that most benefits from it, as it's the one most likely to be carried around in place of an iPhone.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I believe that Amazon is an authorized seller of Apple products, so you should have no issues with purchasing from them.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Apple stores get regular supplies. If you wait long enough and check Apple inventory often, usually within a week or so, you would probably be able to find one. But once in stock, they go quickly.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Apple stores get regular supplies. If you wait long enough and check Apple inventory often, usually within a week or so, you would probably be able to find one. But once in stock, they go quickly.
Yeah, that's kind of how I ended up getting one yesterday. Just kept checking different stores for supply every few hours until one of them had a model I wanted. Eventually I won the F5 lottery and got one for in store pickup.

I've also always had really good luck with Best Buy for some reason. Even when Apple is sold clean out of some hot accessory or something, Best Buy always seems to have it readily available either for in store pickup or next day delivery.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I had decided this week to buy one and had the same problem in the Chicago area. There are 4 different Apple stores I can drive to from where I live, and I found ONE that had ONE unit left, so I took it. I was planning on possibly buying a 256/cellular model, and that's exactly what I had to do in order to not have to wait a month to have it.

So far, not regretting it. I got the starlight color and thought I'd hate it, but I'm too busy loving the iPad to notice.
You came from an Air right? Do you find the text size to be a problem?

For the OP - the Mini 6 has been near impossible to find here in Southern CA (for me anyway).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You came from an Air right? Do you find the text size to be a problem?

This really is dependent on you. My eyesight has gotten bad so I do often find text size on the mini too small for comfort.

On Safari, I have the mini 6 set to 115-125% zoom to match the text size of 100% zoom on larger iPads. Problem is this often breaks website layout or it gives me mobile layout instead of desktop layout.

P.S.
No font size issues with ebooks. I read 2-page landscape on 9.7-11" iPads and 1-page portrait on the mini. The mini in portrait is roughly half the size of the 10.5-11" iPads in landscape. Alas, with same text size, the mini does require more page turns.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
This really is dependent on you. My eyesight has gotten bad so I do often find text size on the mini too small for comfort.

On Safari, I have the mini 6 set to 115-125% zoom to match the text size of 100% zoom on larger iPads. Problem is this often breaks website layout or it gives me mobile layout instead of desktop layout.
This is my biggest worry about the mini 6 (and why I’ve kept the 11). I’m only 36 but in the last few years I’ve started having problems focusing on computer text (due to astigmatism I guess). So the eye doctor recommended computer glasses for me (half/quarter? strength glasses with blue light blockers for looking at a computer screen). This significantly helped with eye fatigue and focusing.

But because of this, I find reading on an iPhone 13 Pro Max to be tiring after a few hours. Whereas, the 11 - I can still read for 6+ hours before it starts hurting. I imagine the mini 6 would not be a step in the right direction for me, lol.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is my biggest worry about the mini 6 (and why I’ve kept the 11). I’m only 36 but in the last few years I’ve started having problems focusing on computer text (due to astigmatism I guess). So the eye doctor recommended computer glasses for me (half/quarter? strength glasses with blue light blockers for looking at a computer screen). This significantly helped with eye fatigue and focusing.

But because of this, I find reading on an iPhone 13 Pro Max to be tiring after a few hours. Whereas, the 11 - I can still read for 6+ hours before it starts hurting. I imagine the mini 6 would not be a step in the right direction for me, lol.
I wear progressive lenses and have pretty bad eyesight in general. Not struggling so far though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Honestly, right now I've been using the iPad mini more like a big iPhone rather than a small tablet.

I recently started reading webcomics which are typically designed to be read on phones. I find the font is too small on my iPhone SE 2020 though. Unfortunately, image quality is too poor (obvious artifacts and blurring) on ~10-11" iPads. The mini is a perfect middle ground in this particular use case.

For web browsing and almost all other tasks though, I still prefer the 10-11" Air or iPP. If I can only keep one iPad, the iPP 11 is what I'd choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.