Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haust

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
If I leave an old iPhone XR at home connected to my cellular network and wifi, what would I miss out on if I only carried my iPad Mini with me and an Apple Watch Cellular?

Will I still be able to get SMS texts from android people and from 2 factor texts on my watch?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Mini cellular is only data so no voice option unless FaceTime. You can setup iMessage on the Mini and forward sms text from your phone to the Mini as well but sync issues will occur.

Apple Watch cellular can receive sms/iMessage text but unless you have the new series, responding to text will be limited.

Reactions: Haust

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Mini cellular is only data so no voice option unless FaceTime. You can setup iMessage on the Mini and forward sms text from your phone to the Mini as well but sync issues will occur.
Yeah, this is the right approach. But not sure what you mean by sync issues… as long as a user is connected to the network they won’t have any issues with SMS texts coming through.

Apple Watch cellular can receive sms/iMessage text but unless you have the new series, responding to text will be limited.
What do you mean by having a new series? And text will be limited? Is there a criteria in which what cellular Apple Watch can receive SMS text because I wasn’t aware of this?

Haust

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
I don’t make and receive a lot of calls. If I can get those when needed via the watch that’s fine with me. My biggest worry is not getting SMS messages from people who don’t have iPhones and those two factor texts. It sounds like this might actually work. Amazing! I’ll get a cellular Apple Watch 8, maybe even the pro and I’ll be set. My eyes aren’t what they used to be and the iPad Mini is easier for me to read without glasses, then my iPhone.

Would love to hear more from anyone who has tried to live like this.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Totally doable but you do get a camera downgrade. I don’t think the camera on the mini 6 is as good as the iPhone’s.

I have Wi-Fi Calling/AT&T NumberSync and SMS forwarding enabled and I get everything on my LTE iPad Pro 12.9 and iPad mini 6.

In fact, I forgot my iPhone SE3 at home today (realized it just now) and I’m getting SMS and 2FA codes just fine. Even the spam robocalls get forwarded to my iPads (unfortunately).

I got lazy about wearing the Apple Watch (wifi-only) again. Maybe when they have built-in glucose monitoring, that would be a major incentive to me to wear one.

Haust

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I’m sure the glucose monitoring is in the works.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If your mini is cellular you will get the green bubble messages on it too.

The cellular number on iPads isn’t actually used for voice and SMS/MMS. It’s only used for data.

Green or blue bubble status will be the same as on the synced iPhone.

Reactions: sparksd

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, if by "old iPhone XR" you are really asking if you can use a cellular mini to stand in for an aging iPhone, the answer is yes. Try a good VOIP app using a temporary number that generally comes with them until you find one you like. If it is good enough, port your main number and your Mini will basically become a bigger-screen phone. Calls in and out, texts in and out, Mini will ring, etc. All works fine as a phone. Texts to and from other Apple Messages users work fine. Texts to and from non-Apple people work within the VOIP app.

Other than a few very brief periods of time, I've rarely used iPhones, preferring iPad mini + buds with mic. It all works... much like how iPad mini can also be a flash light, a camera, a controller, an iPod, etc. Telephony is just an another app. iPad cellular is MUCH cheaper than iPhone cellular plans. All other apps generally work better with more screen RE.

The most notable "catch" for you might be in whatever dependencies Watch has on owning an iPhone. I favor traditional watches myself. But it's easy enough to experiment with the concept (free VOIP app + free test number) and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Haust

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
OP, if by "old iPhone XR" you are really asking if you can use a cellular mini to stand in for an aging iPhone, the answer is yes. Try a good VOIP app using a temporary number that generally comes with them until you find one you like. If it is good enough, port your main number and your Mini will basically become a bigger-screen phone. Calls in and out, texts in and out, Mini will ring, etc. All works fine as a phone. Texts to and from other Apple Messages users work fine. Texts to and from non-Apple people work within the VOIP app.

Other than a few very brief periods of time, I've rarely used iPhones, preferring iPad mini + buds with mic. It all works... much like how iPad mini can also be a flash light, a camera, a controller, an iPod, etc. Telephony is just an another app. iPad cellular is MUCH cheaper than iPhone cellular plans. All other apps generally work better with more screen RE.

The most notable "catch" for you might be in whatever dependencies Watch has on owning an iPhone. I favor traditional watches myself. But it's easy enough to experiment with the concept (free VOIP app + free test number) and see for yourself.
This is really great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.