Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsquared397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
To anyone that already has an iPad mini in their possession, I am curious as to how durable the back of the iPad is, especially the Black and Slate model. Mine is set to arrive tomorrow, and I already have the dark grey smart cover. However, through past experience with older iPads the back aluminum can get scratched very easily. Does that go for the mini too?

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
To anyone that already has an iPad mini in their possession, I am curious as to how durable the back of the iPad is, especially the Black and Slate model. Mine is set to arrive tomorrow, and I already have the dark grey smart cover. However, through past experience with older iPads the back aluminum can get scratched very easily. Does that go for the mini too?

Tbh what kind of question is this..you stated you own an ipad already..nothing is absolutely scratch proof but if anything the mini will be more durable then previous iPads I think cause my iPhone 5 is rock solid but you should be absolutely fine with a Smart Cover. Just put it down that side facing down . Nobody owns a mini yet they're being released tomorrow on the 2nd so people in the uk or Aussie ,mostly australia( if its being released there ) could have it in a few hours being as they're 12 hours ahead or so.

bsquared397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Tbh what kind of question is this..you stated you own an ipad already..nothing is absolutely scratch proof but if anything the mini will be more durable then previous iPads I think cause my iPhone 5 is rock solid but you should be absolutely fine with a Smart Cover. Just put it down that side facing down . Nobody owns a mini yet they're being released tomorrow on the 2nd so people in the uk or Aussie ,mostly australia( if its being released there ) could have it in a few hours being as they're 12 hours ahead or so.

Well since the black iPad mini has a different material than that of previous iPads I was just wondering whether a clear back plate would be necessary like on my iPad 3. From what I have been hearing the black iPhone 5 is prone to scratches as well and if the iPad mini is made from the same material it may scratch just as easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.