Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I have set up an iPad mini in my house to centrally manage all my HomeKit and home automation devices. I am looking to see if there is a way from the iPad mini to play a movie on one of the AppleTVs in my house. I am not looking to AirPlay from the mini to the AppleTV but play a movie right from the AppleTV. Is there somewhere where you access your iTunes movie library and it says “play on xxx AppleTV.” Any questions/comments welcome.

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I am aware of this application and thank you for your comment. My iPad is in a central location - mounted on the wall. I want to be able to select from a list a movie title and instruct it to be played on one of my four AppleTV’s. I do not think that is possible in the remote app. If so I am def missing it. Can you let me know if you think this functionality is in there.

You use Apple’s Remote app to control AppleTV.

Apple TV Remote by Apple https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-tv-remote/id1096834193?mt=8

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
My iPad is stationary. You have to be in front of the AppleTV to see what your controlling with that app.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Actually you can use the app to control multiple ATVs. However you can only control one at a time.
Right. But he wants to have the iPad in a room other than the TV (a hallway). To use the app you have to see the TV screen. I don’t get the use case for this but that’s what he wants.

vicfalc09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
The use case is to remotely kick off playing the movie on an Apple TV in a room that the kids are in. Without having to go to that room and mess with the AppleTV remote.

Right. But he wants to have the iPad in a room other than the TV (a hallway). To use the app you have to see the TV screen. I don’t get the use case for this but that’s what he wants.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.