Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
I have an iPad mini 4 which has been great to me but it’s it’s aged and needs an upgrade. I love the mini form factor and size so I ordered the new one! I ordered it without much research and am still waiting for it to come in the post. I read about the jelly scroll issue. Is this something that is very bothersome or noticeable? Does it really hinder the use of the iPad? I’m going to be using it for social media browsing, reading kindle books, Netflix, and some light games. I got
The 256gb version which is not
Cheap and I’m worried. Can anyone share their experience with me about your new iPad mini? Is it something you get used to? I am hoping this will last me as long as my 4 did. Is there any setting that lessens the jelly scroll?

Last edited:

Phineasgage1848

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2016
Don’t worry at all about the jelly scroll; it should not be an issue that keeps you from enjoying this device! I went from a 10.5 iPad Pro to the Mini 6 and love it!. The JS is only noticeable if you’re looking for it while scrolling in portrait and even then doesn’t actually impact usability in any way. I see it most while scrolling in Apple News in dark mode, but it doesn’t bother me at all. You’re going to love your new Mini! The screen size is awesome and the portability is a huge win. No device is perfect, but I think you’ll find the pros massively outweigh the cons on the Mini 6.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Don’t worry at all about the jelly scroll; it should not be an issue that keeps you from enjoying this device! I went from a 10.5 iPad Pro to the Mini 6 and love it!. The JS is only noticeable if you’re looking for it while scrolling in portrait and even then doesn’t actually impact usability in any way. I see it most while scrolling in Apple News in dark mode, but it doesn’t bother me at all. You’re going to love your new Mini! The screen size is awesome and the portability is a huge win. No device is perfect, but I think you’ll find the pros massively outweigh the cons on the Mini 6.
Great, thank you so much! This makes me feel better!

Reactions: Phineasgage1848

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I am in the "I had to return it cause it was making me dizzy/nauseous camp", and I know I am not the only one.

I think the only thing you can do is just buy it and see how it effects you. If it doesn't bother you, wonderful! If it does, send it back and hope the Mini 7 is better.

There are no settings to make the jelly scroll less noticeable. It is what it is.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
All the Minis have jelly scroll, the previous models show the effect in landscape, while the Mini 6 has it in portrait.

I have the Mini 6 and the Air 4, both have jelly scroll, but it really does not matter to me. Most people either can’t see it, or if they do then it doesn’t bother them.

While some people really are genuinely sensitive to the effect, there was a fair amount of insanity on here about jellyscroll, even to the extent that some were adamant that the Mini 6 jelly scrolled in landscape (despite it being physically and technically impossible to do so). There was an element of human psychology at play, with people being led by the nose in outrage.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I am in the "I had to return it cause it was making me dizzy/nauseous camp", and I know I am not the only one.

I think the only thing you can do is just buy it and see how it effects you. If it doesn't bother you, wonderful! If it does, send it back and hope the Mini 7 is better.

There are no settings to make the jelly scroll less noticeable. It is what it is.

Excellent advice. As all of the posts on this issue show, this problem either bothers you or it doesn't, and you have to view and evaluate the effect yourself - whatever we all say doesn't really matter.

Reactions: ericwn

Phineasgage1848

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2016
All the Minis have jelly scroll, the previous models show the effect in landscape, while the Mini 6 has it in portrait.

I have the Mini 6 and the Air 4, both have jelly scroll, but it really does not matter to me. Most people either can’t see it, or if they do then it doesn’t bother them.

While some people really are genuinely sensitive to the effect, there was a fair amount of insanity on here about jellyscroll, even to the extent that some were adamant that the Mini 6 jelly scrolled in landscape (despite it being physically and technically impossible to do so). There was an element of human psychology at play, with people being led by the nose in outrage.
This comment nails it. I had the 10.5 iPad Pro since release and didn’t know it had JS until I read about most devices having it in some way. Sure enough, I went looking for it and could see it…Even with promotion. But I had the device for 4 years before that and never saw it a single time. JS got a lot of hype in forums (surprise), but is a non-issue for most people.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The issue will be completely dependent on your tolerances. My unit clearly demonstrates the issue which I have never noticed on any other display, but for my e-reader uses and casual browsing it doesn't bother me.

Reactions: SpotOnT

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
I have an iPad mini 4 which has been great to me but it’s it’s aged and needs an upgrade. I love the mini form factor and size so I ordered the new one! I ordered it without much research and am still waiting for it to come in the post. I read about the jelly scroll issue. Is this something that is very bothersome or noticeable? Does it really hinder the use of the iPad? I’m going to be using it for social media browsing, reading kindle books, Netflix, and some light games. I got
The 256gb version which is not
Cheap and I’m worried. Can anyone share their experience with me about your new iPad mini? Is it something you get used to? I am hoping this will last me as long as my 4 did. Is there any setting that lessens the jelly scroll?

Try it, if it gives you headache, just return it.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
This comment nails it. I had the 10.5 iPad Pro since release and didn’t know it had JS until I read about most devices having it in some way. Sure enough, I went looking for it and could see it…Even with promotion. But I had the device for 4 years before that and never saw it a single time. JS got a lot of hype in forums (surprise), but is a non-issue for most people.

Pro refresh rate is much higher so the jelly effect is hard to notice.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Only thing you can do is buy and try

For me, I couldn't ever "un-see it" and it was annoying as hell and I knew right away I wasn't ever going to be a Mini 6 long term customer (barring a direction change on the panel and thus the jelly scroll direction)

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
My wife got the current iPad mini a few weeks back. I had a look at it and noticed the jelly scroll right away, but it doesn't bother me much. My wife, who is not an Apple buff in any way and who doesn't read Apple news on a regular basis and thus is unaware of jelly scroll, hasn't mentioned it to me so far. I am not even sure, she ever noticed it, and she is using her iPad mini every day.

In the end, you will have to try and see for yourself. Once you know, it is there, you can't unsee it.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
My wife, who is not an Apple buff in any way and who doesn't read Apple news on a regular basis and thus is unaware of jelly scroll, hasn't mentioned it to me so far. I am not even sure, she ever noticed it, and she is using her iPad mini every day.
My wife has been using it for 3 months and hasn't said anything about it yet. I'm not going to point it out. I can't be sure she has not noticed the jelly scroll, but there is no way to find out without pointing it out, which would not be doing her a favor, as there is nothing that can be done about it and it is difficult to unsee once seen.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I see it, but I don't mind it. The thing I was more worried about was gaming, and after trying several games on Apple Arcade, I have no problem with it. Playing on that mini is just delightful.

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
It was immediately obvious to me but it doesn't affect the function in any way as you only see it when scrolling very quickly. Some people find the effect intolerable. I personally don't get why, but I suppose if you are one of those people it may be an issue for you.

I love my Mini but you do have to understand it is not a top-of-the-line display.

Reactions: Coltaine and Barsal

Jzhawkins

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
Just returned my Mini 6 today. Jelly Scroll was a primary reason. I’ve been using a Mini 5 since it came out. while they say all IPads have it, I’ve never noticed it except for the Mini 6. I’d say it was quite noticeable, still usable, but frankly not up to Apple standards of quality at all.

The other minor disappointment for me is the new screen aspect ratio on the mini 6. The screen is more narrow and longer in portrait orientation, text gets wrapped more, and just doesn’t work as well as the mini 5 in portrait. But in landscape it’s an advantage. Ironically, the Mini 6 screen felt more cramped than the mini 5 ?

Fingers crossed Apple can, or will , remedy the Jelly scroll issue soon.

Reactions: klasma and vddobrev

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just returned my Mini 6 today. Jelly Scroll was a primary reason. I’ve been using a Mini 5 since it came out. while they say all IPads have it, I’ve never noticed it except for the Mini 6. I’d say it was quite noticeable, still usable, but frankly not up to Apple standards of quality at all.

The other minor disappointment for me is the new screen aspect ratio on the mini 6. The screen is more narrow and longer in portrait orientation, text gets wrapped more, and just doesn’t work as well as the mini 5 in portrait. But in landscape it’s an advantage. Ironically, the Mini 6 screen felt more cramped than the mini 5 ?

Fingers crossed Apple can, or will , remedy the Jelly scroll issue soon.
Yeah Apple is really pushing for landscape orientation on all their models given the way the display controllers are now. Kind of odd since their cameras and Apple logo are prioritized for portrait.

Apple - we designed the hardware for portrait mode to provide the best tablet experience. Afterall, it’s a tablet!

Also Apple - we’ve managed to provide the worst experience in portrait mode across all our iPads! All of our accessories are for landscape and our camera/faceid work terribly in the same position as well…enjoy.

Here’s hoping the new iPads make sense.

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.