Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer Landscape or Portrait

• Total voters

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
Seems more and more people are using landscape on the Mini and with Apple prioritizing this view on the Mini 6 I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
With the Mini 6, I’m probably closer to 80% landscape rather than the 99% with the Mini 5. The longer screen makes it much more usable than the 5 was in portrait. I’m lucky enough to very rarely see the jelly in normal use. I sometimes use portrait to type, something I never did with the 5.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Seems more and more people are using landscape on the Mini and with Apple prioritizing this view on the Mini 6 I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are.
How has Apple prioritized landscape orientation for the Mini 6? The front-facing camera is still oriented for portrait orientation use.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
How has Apple prioritized landscape orientation for the Mini 6? The front-facing camera is still oriented for portrait orientation use.
That argument doesn’t work for any of the other iPads though… They all have the front facing camera for portrait use but I’m willing to bet that most use the bigger iPads in landscape.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
My iPad Mini (1st gen) is always plugged in and is only used for youtube videos. So it's always in landscape.
But that's the only iPad that's used in Landscape. I use my normal iPad in portrait 90% of the time. The 10% of the time is only for apps that force landscape.
I prefer to use iPad vertically.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That argument doesn’t work for any of the other iPads though… They all have the front facing camera for portrait use but I’m willing to bet that most use the bigger iPads in landscape.
You are right it doesn't apply to those other iPads because Apple produces keyboards that only work with the iPad in landscape mode. There is nothing that Apple is doing with the Mini to suggest that they prefer landscape orientation.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Orientation for me is dependent on which iPad I’m using. We have the Minis at work and (to answer the main question about the Mini)…I use it in portrait. For personal use, I have the 4th generation Air and use the Magic Keyboard...so pretty much landscape. Even if I take the Air off the Magic Keyboard, I still use that one in landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.