Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
Unlike the current iPad Mini, how old does it take to get an iPad with a 120hz screen and a miniled? Or why shouldn't the 11" iPad Pro have a mini-led?

Shouldn't Apple make Mini-led and dynamic 120hz display standard anymore? Why shouldn't all iPad models be like this? Oh sure, money.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Unlike the current iPad Mini, how old does it take to get an iPad with a 120hz screen and a miniled? Or why shouldn't the 11" iPad Pro have a mini-led?

Shouldn't Apple make Mini-led and dynamic 120hz display standard anymore? Why shouldn't all iPad models be like this? Oh sure, money.
Yeah money, the same money every other company tries to make by creating price tiers (budget, mid-range, high end).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Oh sure, money.
Yep this is the reason why I’m not driving around in a Ferrari. We all have a budget and not everyone can or wants to spend so much money on an iPad.

I think the concept of the iPad mini goes against what the pro market wants. Most people who want a “Pro” want the most functionality and the small screen really hurts that.

Of course not everyone wants that but Apple has to sell these things in large volumes to make up for cost. It’s the same reason why the iPhone mini was discontinued. There’s a small but really vocal group that wanted the iPhone mini. The problem is that group is just too small and sales were low. The same would happen if they came out with an iPad mini pro.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
Yeah money, the same money every other company tries to make by creating price tiers (budget, mid-range, high end).
Yep this is the reason why I’m not driving around in a Ferrari. We all have a budget and not everyone can or wants to spend so much money on an iPad.

I think the concept of the iPad mini goes against what the pro market wants. Most people who want a “Pro” want the most functionality and the small screen really hurts that.

Of course not everyone wants that but Apple has to sell these things in large volumes to make up for cost. It’s the same reason why the iPhone mini was discontinued. There’s a small but really vocal group that wanted the iPhone mini. The problem is that group is just too small and sales were low. The same would happen if they came out with an iPad mini pro.

I agree with you. I just wanted the screen features I mentioned to be standard. just the screen. Of course, this does not mean that current screens are bad. I don't think I'd buy an iPad Pro instead of buying a good computer. Of course, this depends on the desire and usage preference. Maybe if I have a lot of money I'll buy it. 😭

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I agree with you. I just wanted the screen features I mentioned to be standard. just the screen. Of course, this does not mean that current screens are bad. I don't think I'd buy an iPad Pro instead of buying a good computer. Of course, this depends on the desire and usage preference. Maybe if I have a lot of money I'll buy it. 😭
Well if they made it standard then they would have to raise the price. While that may be okay with you it would not be with a lot of people. I think Apple has a hard time trying to figure out what most people are willing to pay and what features most people want.

A good example is on the larger iPad you have a choice between three different screens. The regular iPad with the non-laminated screen then the iPad Air with the laminated and the iPad Pro with the high refresh rate screen. For my use I bought the iPad Air because I didn’t want to spend the extra money for the fancy screen but I know it’s really popular with a lot of people.

I think with the mini they went middle of the road and used the laminated screen. Maybe in the future they will make one with a more expensive screen but I’m not sure it would sell. If Apple thinks they can sell it they will make it.

Reactions: G5isAlive and 42545

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am an artist and my main creative tool is the 11” iPad Pro. I draw on it as well as edit photos & videos. But when i travel, sometimes I prefer to go lighter, so my iPad mini 6 fills in as my digital travel sketchbook. It is also much more comfortable to edit photos & videos on than my iPhone. Still, i do wish it got some of the features of the Pro iPads Like Pro Motion etc. I can’t complain tho. I know it is a niche product & for awhile it looked like as if Apple might discontinue it. I’m glad they didn’t.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I am pretty confident that promotion is coming next year for the mini, but definitely not miniled...

Reactions: 42545

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I think Apple would want to have higher refresh rates for their Pro models (above ProMotion refresh rates) before they would consider delivering ProMotion on eg iPad Air and iPad Mini.

I think battery would be a particular concern on the Mini, so that would bring its own challenges.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Unfortunately it seems that with MacBooks, iPhones and iPads the 120Hz (and in some cases miniLED) are reserved for the 'Pro' category of these devices as a way to differentiate. I do feel like that makes sense, but boy would I love an iPad mini with a 120Hz OLED display.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Price to be kept low basically. I love pro motion but got to be honest on the mini it’s not been the deal breaker I expected. I use my mini lately more than any other device

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I love my iPad Mini 5 and would be very tempted by an iPad Mini 7 that had a better screen than the 6.

iPads across the board could really benefit from a screen upgrade to OLED or similar.

I would expect this to also have the benefit of a high refresh rate and getting rid of jelly scrolling, plus could shrink some of that thickness.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
I love my iPad Mini 5 and would be very tempted by an iPad Mini 7 that had a better screen than the 6.

iPads across the board could really benefit from a screen upgrade to OLED or similar.

I would expect this to also have the benefit of a high refresh rate and getting rid of jelly scrolling, plus could shrink some of that thickness.
i have never notice the jelly scroll on my ipad mini

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There's the Mini 6 and sometimes it's impossible not to notice. Once you realize it….

It seems some people are more sensitive to it than others. I can see it if I focus on looking for it but in normal use, I don't notice it at all. Others can never "unsee" it.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I sadly noticed the jelly scrolling right away on the Mini 6 in the shop. I also overall felt like the screen was not as easy on the eye, but was hard for me to pinpoint why - maybe too blue and seemed a bit 'grainy' for a retina display. I don't consider myself super fussy either - I can't see the bloom people talk about on MiniLED.

The Mini 6 is still a decent iPad, but I can't help but hope that a Mini 7 arrives that fixes a few of its rougher edges - ProMotion would make this an instant buy for me and FaceID would be great too. It costs enough that including these features seems reasonable.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and 42545

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
I sadly noticed the jelly scrolling right away on the Mini 6 in the shop. I also overall felt like the screen was not as easy on the eye, but was hard for me to pinpoint why - maybe too blue and seemed a bit 'grainy' for a retina display. I don't consider myself super fussy either - I can't see the bloom people talk about on MiniLED.

The Mini 6 is still a decent iPad, but I can't help but hope that a Mini 7 arrives that fixes a few of its rougher edges - ProMotion would make this an instant buy for me and FaceID would be great too. It costs enough that including these features seems reasonable.

although it is enough, human want better. But one day, as technology advances, Apple will make the iPad Mini like the current Pros.

Maybe it should be both mini and mini pro with a difference of $100-200 for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.