Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
I was just wondering why the iPad Mini 6 wasn't called the iPad Mini Pro since you can use the Apple pencil. it's a great iPad and I'm enjoying the smallness and lightness. I still use my iPad Pro but I carry around the iPad Mini 6 more often. I wonder if Apple will call it the iPad Mini Pro as it gets better.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
iPad mini pro would compete with the future iPhone fold not happening... also why Samsung makes no flagship mini tablet

jquest68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
Ability to use the Pencil is not a feature exclusive to Pro models. You can use the Pencil on the base iPad and the Air.
You're right but it would be nice if Apple had a iPad Pro mini. But what makes an iPad a Pro if the Air and some other iPads could use the pencil? I have an iPad Pro 11 first gen and I love it but besides the price tag what's the difference?

Reactions: leebroath

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
You're right but it would be nice if Apple had a iPad Pro mini. But what makes an iPad a Pro if the Air and some other iPads could use the pencil? I have an iPad Pro 11 first gen and I love it but besides the price tag what's the difference?
Processing power, graphics, ProMotion, Face ID (Apple has decided this is a pro feature on iPads for whatever reason), speakers.

iPad is one of those product lines, like AirPods, where Pro just means the best version of that product line.

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
Still the dream, but little chance of reality. Imagine a Mini, but with M3, 120hz OLED, 8/16GB RAM and 512GB or higher storage, FaceID...
I would instantly buy this!
Small form factor and more than enough power.
But sadly, this would be too good to be true.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I think a lot of people would appreciate a Mini Pro

Having more storage, better processor and 120hz

Would especially be great for people traveling a lot and work on the go.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Let me tell you TouchID is the main selling point of the Mini and Air. Holy heck am I tired of the iPad Pro not unlocking due to me being at some wrong angle.

I'd love a Mini Pro otherwise. I doubt M-size chips make much sense in that form factor but the A-series is *fine* anyway.

Ultimately, I guess market observation have told them that only Macrumors-members would buy them.

Reactions: sracer

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Let me tell you TouchID is the main selling point of the Mini and Air. Holy heck am I tired of the iPad Pro not unlocking due to me being at some wrong angle.

I'd love a Mini Pro otherwise. I doubt M-size chips make much sense in that form factor but the A-series is *fine* anyway.

Ultimately, I guess market observation have told them that only Macrumors-members would buy them.
I hate TouchID. FaceID to me is much better.

• Sad
Reactions: Elusi

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Kind of like the idea of an iPad pro mini, but I think if they update it with a A17 pro (or perhaps a bionic pro with extra neural engine cores, to cover the AI craze) might just be more than enough for me.

Coming from a (more or less unused) iPad mini 4, it would be quite an upgrade even with "only" an A17 pro... :)

AdamHarbour

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2021
iPad mini pro is a unicorn! Wanted by a minority and not worth the while for Apple ! It’s another Mac on iPad or iPhone mini. A few dream of it but it not worth apples time or money 🤷‍♂️

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
iPad mini pro is a unicorn! Wanted by a minority and not worth the while for Apple ! It’s another Mac on iPad or iPhone mini. A few dream of it but it not worth apples time or money 🤷‍♂️
especially if they ever release an iPhone fold, which would be a much higher price device (and a mini pro would steal sales from that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.